Real KPK?

guitarsnrotts

Reaction score
Last edited:
I didn't see a link in your post, but you must mean this one.

That is weird. If you're going to copy all the other details (the rosewood saddle and nut, the nitrocellulose finish), why would you miss the biggest identifying feature?

Maybe a factory mistake sold off locally?

Same "vendor" sells a Mainland knock-off that he was actually listing as "Mainland style" - now he's changed that to "rope edge".

I met a commercial pilot a few weeks back who had just come back from Beijing w/a Pono knock-off he bought at a shop w/all manner of other very authentic looking guitars, ukes, & other instruments. His "Pono" had the authentic looking paper label in the soundhole but didn't have the Pono inlay logo on the headstock. It was a very convincing replica except for that obvious missing inlay!

I regularly report these blatant rip-offs to EBay, though it doesn't seem to slow them down!

The varnish on that Gambalele looks shite. Look at the last 2 pictures of the side and back of the neck. He seems to buy a lot of gear from Bruce Weiart. I wonder if he's having unbadged knockoffs made for him in Vietnam then putting his own stickers on them.

I have seen this uke in a chinese auction site also.

I emailed the seller asking how he had the balls to offer these fugazis as legit items, and he came back to me with a song and dance that KPK just changed their logo/headstock. I haven't emailed KPK to confirm, but this just smells like a bit of a load.

I could be wrong though, and if there is a new style for KPK I'll apologize to the seller for calling him a two-bit sleazebag.

I have no proof either way but I did own 2 KPKs in the past and with the exception of the labeling these appear to be the exact same ukes. Even the cheap cases that come with them are the same.
If I had to guess, they come out of the same factory and are the same instruments. Possibly they are building extras and not going through KPK distributors.
That being said, I did get my 2 KPKs from the normal channels and both were set-up perfectly and the service I received was excellent. IMO this is one of the most important parts of purchasing a playable instrument that you will enjoy.

I guess he got from alibaba.com there's have many supplier in china offer melokia,kpk and other brand with the same ukulele (just change the logo)
I use to search alibaba.com to find nice ukulele peg factory but still find only ukulele factory.

I once explored Alibaba's ukulele offerings...
...there were lots-o-ukes we see sold here under other names. The prices were unbelievably low too, like $10 per uke (100 minimum) for what looked to be a laminate Kamoa pineapple.
Even if 50% were unplayable, you'd only be paying $20 per uke.
Anybody up for a Group Buy? :p

I think I'm going to buy a few hundred tons of sand, put it in small boxes, and sell it to the Chinese as Lion Penis and Rhino Horn. See how they f**king like it.

Top Bottom