July 21 book signing and kanikapila in Honolulu

Jim T.

Reaction score
Should you happen to be in Honolulu for the 'Ukulele Festival next month, you're invited to a book signing of "The 'Ukulele: A History" and kanikapila at Native Books/Na Mea Hawai'i on Saturday, July 21 at 4 p.m. It's a chance to get a copy of John's and my new book signed in my illegible scrawl and see me unmasked in public as one of the worst 'ukulele players ever. That's why I'm trying to persuade some of my cousins to come and play, including one who has our family heirloom: a playable 1895 Dias.

You'll find Native Books in the Ward Warehouse Center at 1050 Ala Moana Blvd., Suite 1000 (under the Old Spaghetti Factory.)

I'll be there so I'll definitely stop by:)

Thankyou for a wonderful book Jim. My hardback copy arrived the other day and I'm just getting my teeth into it. I love the writing style and what a great thing to have a serious and scholarly study of the ukulele and it's social and cultural history finally available. If I could fly to Hawaii to have you sign it I would.

Thankyou for a wonderful book Jim. My hardback copy arrived the other day and I'm just getting my teeth into it. I love the writing style and what a great thing to have a serious and scholarly study of the ukulele and it's social and cultural history finally available. If I could fly to Hawaii to have you sign it I would.

Thanks very much for the kind words. I know John would have appreciated them as much as I do.

Agreed. I received your book as a late birthday present yesterday. It looks great and I can't wait to start reading it. I'll definitely try and stop by the signing and the kanikapila. Thank you for your work.

Aw man, wish I had upcoming Hawaii plans! And what a good location for your book signing, Native Books is a great little shop.

I finished your book over several afternoons at the beach and enjoyed every page of it. You and John managed to do the near-impossible - write a scholarly work that made for excellent beach reading. I'm not sure how many others can make that claim (one-time history major here and no stranger to scholarly works).

I'll try to make it too.

How about a small notepad for UU Ohana sign-ins? That way we can
keep tabs on who came and who's on the Island :)

See you on the 21st (DV).

keep uke'in',

I'll try to make it too.

How about a small notepad for UU Ohana sign-ins? That way we can
keep tabs on who came and who's on the Island :)

See you on the 21st (DV).

keep uke'in',

Good idea! I'll add it to the list.

While I missed the signing and uke fest by a week, I did drop by Native Books/Na Mea book store and picked up a copy of the book. What an awesome book! Lots of information in a well laid out way and makes for easy reading. Any die hard uke player should have a read.

Na Mea is such a cool book store worth checking out too. I don't think the staff knew about the book signing when I mentioned it to them. lol

Last edited:
While I missed the signing and uke fest by a week, I did drop by Native Books/Na Mea book store and picked up a copy of the book. What an awesome book! Lots of information in a well laid out way and makes for easy reading. Any die hard uke player should have a read.

Thanks so much. I'd never done a signing before, but this was enormous fun. People who are not related to me actually showed up, including UUer Uncle Rod (a talented player and a nice guy), Byron Yasui, John's brother Paul and his wife Joan, Warren and Michi Nishimoto from the University of Hawai'i, John Berger of the Star-Advertiser, and a guy who told stories about being a kid watching closely to try and figure out Jesse Kalima's fingering ("his fingers were too fat for us to really see anything," he said.) If you're interested in anything to do with Hawaiian history, music, or culture, Native Books should be at the top of your list when you're in Honolulu. I went back after the signing to give myself a chance to browse everything thoroughly.

thanks Jim (and John, posthumously), for a wonderful and scholarly, but not pedantic, history of our beloved uke.

I hope the event was video-taped both for your wonderful stories and the August personages in attendance. oh, and Now's virtuoso ukulele performance.

tie Diaz was wonderful to behold and your rendition was In...able. :)

keep uke'in',

Top Bottom