Pono in a parking lot

rem50

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I wanted to share something that happened the other day. I taking my wife with me on some "man" chores when she said that she needed to stop.....for a minute..... at the grocery store. Needless to say I stayed in the car. As any uke player with 8 or more ukes would do, I had taken one in the car just for occasions such as this. So here I was in food lion parking lot playing "mr sandman" on my concert pono when a guy came out and got in the parked car next to me. He then started signaling for me to roll down my window. He asked me what kind of uke I was playing. I told him "pono". He was Hawaiian and said that is his sons middle name. He told me PONO means righteous. I thought that was so cool. He then gave me a cd of a guy Gabi P-something. I think it was a real Hawaiian cd... I did not understand one word of it! Ha! I then paid it forward and gave the cd to a ukulele playing friend who loves that music. It was a very cool experience all the way around. A lot of people got blessed from one Pono in a parking lot

Gabby "Pops" Pahinui was probably the most influential of Hawaiian musicians and was at the forefront of the Hawaiian music rennaisance back in the 70s and 80s before he died. His sons. especially Cyril, have carried on the tradition and are very active on the music scene today. Everyone in Hawaii knows the name Gabby Pahanui. That CD was a score. Especially in North Carolina! Cool story.

That was the name! The friend I gave it to loved it. I still do not even know what "slack key" is. I am glad it went to a home where it could be appreciated for what it is. :)

That was the name! The friend I gave it to loved it. I still do not even know what "slack key" is. I am glad it went to a home where it could be appreciated for what it is. :)

Aloha rem50,

Ki ho'alu, otherwise known as Hawaiian Slack Key, is generally a fingerpicking style played on an acoustic steel stringed guitar. It's called, "'Slack Key" because the strings are "Slacked" or "Loosened" thereby creating it's own unique Island sound.

Here's a video of Slack Key artist Jeff Peterson playing his made in Hawaii James Goodall guitar and teaching you the history behind slack key and its unique sound.

Here's a video of Slack Key ukulele style. The tune is called "Pandanus" made famous by the great Peter Moon. This is a good cover by YouTuber mistahukulele808 playing the uke:

I keep seeing this title in the thread list and thinking there has to be a song hiding in that title and just waiting to be written...maybe because I'm thinking of "Party in the Parking Lot" by Ronnie Van Zandt's cousin...

My grandpa supposedly grew up in the same neighborhood as Gabby and he says that their two families knew each other quite well. My grandpa still listens to his music on the radio in his car.

Top Bottom