E major???

Chrisinfp

Reaction score
I know people struggle playing E. I read that you can bar the 2nd fret and play only three strings. Anyone know about this. Thanks.

I don't think I've heard anyone say they play the conventional E chord (4442) the way I do. I fret the 1st string 2nd fret with the index finger and use the middle and ring fingers sort of mashed together to sort of bridge strings 2, 3, and 4 (with the tips of the fingers) at the 4th fret.

I don't think I've heard anyone say they play the conventional E chord (4442) the way I do. I fret the 1st string 2nd fret with the index finger and use the middle and ring fingers sort of mashed together to sort of bridge strings 2, 3, and 4 (with the tips of the fingers) at the 4th fret.

Yep, I do it that way too!
cheers
Gary

I usually play it as 4447 (barre the fourth fret). Problem solved!

JJ

I usually play it as 4447 (barre the fourth fret). Problem solved!

+1

Barre chords are your friend. The key of E is not difficult at all if you use barre chords and the 4th fret as your "home" fret.

John

Barre chords good, but It didn't take me too much practice to get the EM "right." and I don't usually pick things up that quickly. I soon figured out I had to rotate my left hand counter-clockwise, closer to the headstock, so it's easier to place my fingers more horizontally across the 2,3,4 strings. A correct EM Will be the key to many moveable chords you will want to play as you progress. I practiced it a lot when I first learned "Hey Soul Sister." Good luck.

Last edited:
Top Bottom