strings for 6-string acoustic electric tenor uke

dahni

Reaction score
Any recommendations about brand, and as important, where to buy strings for a 6-string acoustic electric tenor uke?

strings for 6-string electric uke

I'm interested in the Worth strings. Any feedback? Any comparison with other strings? I have a Peavey Solo amp to use with the uke.

I use Southcoast 8 string set with wound, tuned to C. I tune my 6 string. gCcEAA and I love it!

I do not recommend the Worth strings for six-string tenor, I tried a set a few months ago.

My luthier-made six-string came with GHS, but I quickly switched to Aquilas, which I use most all my ukes.

I changed to Worths in an attempt to get a solid rather than wound string for the low A because I have been wearing out Aquila wound strings at an alarming rate.

The diameters of the strings are messed up.
When I looked at the Elderly web site I thought it was a misprint, but sure enough that is how the strings are sized.

String gauges are 0185 (.47mm), 0291 (.74mm), 0260 (.66mm), 0319 (.81mm), 0205 (.52mm), 0224 (.57mm). Made in Japan.

The low A string, which is tuned lower than the C, is a smaller diameter.
No surprise that it's lower tension, which is not good for me.

I ended up making a hybrid set using a 0.81 for the low A, but I'm not happy.

If you're in a hurry I would recommend Aquilas with a wound A unless you've tried them and don't care for them.

If you can wait a month or so, the Aquila red plain low A set should be available, I have tried red plain low G on a 4-str tenor and love it.

6-string electric uke strings

Thanks for the response. I'm still looking for sources and strings for my 6-string electric acoustic tenor uke. I still have the originals, but want a couple more sets before the first set is worn out.

It all depends on how your uke sounds and how you like it to sound for your string choice...only you know that..all we can suggest to you is the brands available which are the best....

I re-strung my tenor 6 with Aquilas, using the new reds for the C and A lows in the doubled courses, and I'm very pleased.

They have less sustain, but the balance between the A and C pairs is better than I got using a wound A.

I have my Kanile'a 6 string strung with aquila's and the low A is wound. Really love the sound. As mm Stan said, all we can do is suggest various sets that we like. Only you will know which set you like. Best is to order a few different sets, try them out see what you like!

Top Bottom