View Full Version : Classical Guitar + Thunderguts Acoustic Bass Project underway

06-28-2012, 08:00 PM
So I was feeling frisky and ordered some Thunderguts and a 3/4 scale (cheap) classical guitar. This evening I took my first crack and making an acoustic bass.

Bridge is no problem. Nut is no problem. String spacing is no problem.

The major obstacle to my success is the tuning pegs. The guitar has a slotted headstock and I had hoped to simply drill bigger holes for the strings. This worked for the 1st string. The 4th string was however too fat. However, with the extra slack I had for the 4th string I was able to get it to stay wrapped around the peg.

The problem with the 2nd and 3rd strings is that the tuning pegs are further away, so I'll have less extra string to play with to get them to stay on the peg. Before I begin on the 2nd and 3rd strings, I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to how I could manage such a feat.

If push comes to shove I will buy new tuners, but I was hoping one of you fine people would have a brilliant solution for me.

06-29-2012, 03:44 PM
What popped into my head was to put a wire tie through the hole in the peg shaft (where the string normally goes) but leave it open enough to slide the thundergut string through. Pull the thindergut as tight as you can (I'm figuring it will stretch quite a bit and you will need it pre-stretched or there will not be enough space on the peg shaft). You may need an assistant to do this. So you have the string pulled tight, then close the wire tie so it is as tight as possible holding the thundergut to the shaft (I'd use pliers to both pull the tie and push the slip through end).

Now, if this works, you can then wind up the thundergut onto the tuner shaft and the wire tie will hold it from slipping. The string could even go to the wood then back over itself if needed (from stretching). I would not cut the string until you are sure it does not slip.

If it does not work you have not ruined the string for some other attachment method.


06-29-2012, 10:29 PM
I like it! I'll give it a shot this weekend. I was thinking about putting little eyelet screws in the string hole on the tuning peg, and then putting the thundergut through, and tying a knot on the end of it. Then when I started to tighten the string it all would be well, but wire is less obtrusive than an eyelet screw.

Thank you for your time and wisdom.

06-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Just a quick update: Success! I used the A string that came on the classical guitar to hold the thundergut to the peg and now life is good. Now I just need to figure out how to clone myself so I have a uke player to jam with. Thanks a lot, UkeNukem.

07-03-2012, 07:56 AM
i decided small is the way...this is my most latest creation, though I have also recently received a set of Thunderguts - but i'm still setting them in - so far I still prefer the Pahoehoe's both feel and tone - but the Thunderguts are louder

07-10-2012, 10:04 AM
You Welcome, glad it worked out.