Hawaii here I come

The Big Kahuna

Reaction score
Finally finished booking my first trip back to the islands in 10 years. I booked the flights direct with AA and Hawaiian (Expedia couldn't do it to my requirements and were £ 300 more expensive). Also booked the cars and hotels direct. Quite adventurous for me & Mrs Kahuna, we usually go to our pet travel agent and pay the price.

Anyway, quick itinerary, then I'll get to the Uke questions:

Sept 29th - staying at Kailua-Kona, Big Island until Oct 3rd
Oct 3rd - staying at Kapa'a, Kauai until Oct 18th

So...are there any major Uke builders on the Big Island that wouldn't mind a disreputable Englishman paying their factory a visit to see how a good Uke is built ? And are there any good music stores there ? I'll probably only be driving over to Hilo once, to go see the waterfalls & do some sightseeing. This is our first time on the big island, so it'll be a busy 5 days.

The same question for Kauai, do you think Kamoa would mind me visiting them, if I called first, obviously.

Where is the place that Aldrine plays ? I've posted to his Facebook page asking if he'll be on Kauai and playing anywhere during my stay, but I've had no answer. I guess he's a busy dude.

Anyone from Kauai fancy a beer during October ?

Anyone have experience of carrying a Tenor Uke on a Hawaiian Airlines flight ?

Hi The Big Kahuna

I'm so envy now...

When I went to Kaua'i I've been in scotty's, in Kalaheo. It's on the highway to Hanapepe, Waimea...

http://scottysmusickauai.com/

I don't know if there's another shop on the island.

Be sure to visit Holulua Uke Gallery, a short, curvy-road drive from Kailua-Kona. Several builders sell their spec builds there, and Sam likes talking to visitors.
http://www.konaweb.com/ukegallery/

Wow, that brings back memories, we were there in '99 when it they were just starting to get into ukes.
That little village of Holualoa is a great stop for browsing art, etc. for the wives who come along.

You might stop in at Soundwave Music http://www.soundwavemusickona.com, where I bought my first ukulele. He's mostly a rock and roll shop, but sells ukes as well and would have some good local knowledge for you.

I met Allen Woody, the bass player for Gov't Mule there the morning I bought my uke, he wandered in and started playing all the expensive ones. May he rest in peace.

There are 3 main stores I can think of on Kauai. + a few other random music stores that may sell ukes.

Scotty's in Kalaheo (I've purchased 2 ukes there, great selection of many brands, even the K brands. Be sure to get some Kauai Cookies next door!)
Larry's in Koloa (Small store with mostly Kamoa, but a few other brands)
Larry's in Kapa'a (All Kamoa now, but Sam is great to chat with!)

Enjoy, and if I were you, I'd not take a uke, but buy one on your trip, and then play it on the beach. Heck, toss a pinch of sand in it for good luck. You'll have a great souvenir!
Cheers,
Skottoman

Enjoy, and if I were you, I'd not take a uke, but buy one on your trip, and then play it on the beach. Heck, toss a pinch of sand in it for good luck. You'll have a great souvenir!
Cheers,
Skottoman

I was thinking more of buying one over there. I bought 2 in New York and blagged my way onto the flight back, but I was wondering about taking a Tenor as cabin luggage on Hawaiian and AA.

I just came back from Kauai a few months ago with a Kanile'a Tenor in a hardcase on Alaska Airlines, and they didn't look twice at me. In fact I asked if they could stash it in the first class coat closet for me, and they did.

None of the security or people at the gate gave my Tenor sized hardcase a second look.
That said, I recall a thread on here about Hawaiian airlines giving some people problems with anything over a certain size. Ukulele or not. :( Where's the Aloha in that? I have no information about AA, but you could call them.

I found the thread on Hawaiian - http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...olicy-on-Hawaiian-Airlines&highlight=hawaiian

Cheers,
Skottoman

Sounds like a wonderful trip - I'm jealous, man!

If things go according to plan, I'll be going in December... :D

Oh you gits!

I might have to cut my credit cards in half before I go. Feel free to give me an address for the exhibit though Chuck, it'd be nice to pop in for 30 minutes while I'm passing through Hilo.

Oh you gits!

I might have to cut my credit cards in half before I go. Feel free to give me an address for the exhibit though Chuck, it'd be nice to pop in for 30 minutes while I'm passing through Hilo.

It'll be right in downtown Hilo at the Waialoa Center. You can't miss it. I'll buy you a beer if you can limit yourself to 30 minutes! It's really the biggest show we've ever put on and will be held in conjunction with some of the Big Island's premiere wood workers. I know quite a few builders will not be at their shops at least for the first few days of the show.

Last edited:
Congrats on officially booking the trip! Sept will come by in no time and yeah, cut those credit cards up!

Been here for 7 days so far and the wallet is always itching to jump out in any uke store I pop into. I guess it's like waving a crack pipe in front of a drug addict by going into those stores. ACK! If you go into Hawaii Music Supply, if you don't faint as you first walk in, you're a better man than I. The only thing I remember is Aaron saying "Oh yeah, we got a few ukes." when I first walked in. Must have had that deer in the headlights look on my face. Ha!

I've been to Chuck's shop, and it is not a quick trip from anywhere. The drive itself was almost as beautiful as his place and well worth it, but with 30 minutes passing through Hilo, especially if you are staying in Kona, you are just not going to be able to do that.

I recommend allowing yourself more time and just going to the show at Waikaloa Center, I am sure you will enjoy it.

I'll drop in at the show in Hilo, count on it. Will I be able to buy a UU t-shirt from anyone there ?

I'm envious. I'll be going to Maui in October, but I don't know if I'll be able to spend any time on the Big Island. I'd love to see the ukulele exhibit in Hilo if I can.

When I was in Kaua'i in April 2010, I visited Larry's Music in Kapa'a and Larry's Music (I think it's called The Ukulele Skop) Koloa. (Unfortunately, I got to Scotty's too late in the day and it was closed.) Back then, Sam was just launching his Kamoa ukulele line and both shops were filled with Kamakas, Kanile'as and other local brands. I also visited a quaint shop in Hanilei called Hanilei Music's Strings and Things. it's in Ching Young Village. (See photo.) It's a knitting shop, ukulele shop and DVD rental place. When I was there, the ukuleles were mostly from local builders.

Your trip sounds like it'll be great!

IMG_0403.jpg

Aldrine usually plays at Oasis on the Beach in the Waipouli Beach Resort on Wednesdays; and at Rob's Good Times Grill in Lihue on "Aloha" Fridays, along with a bunch of other local musicians. I was unable to go to the Waipouli Beach Resort as our stay was from Wednesday to Wednesday (got in too late the first Wednesday, left too early on the second). But Rob's in Lihue treated us really well. It's basically a very nice sports bar, but the food and staff are excellent.

But it's not on the beach. :cheers:

Top Bottom