Golden Syrup Resonator Uke

spookefoote

Reaction score
Lancashire, UK (Just around the corner from George
I'm having a go at building one out of an knackered concert uke with a golden syrup tin and a stainless steel plug-hole strainer.

Any tips?

You can use dowels between the top and back, to keep the top from sagging. If it's a laminate top you could probably get by with just one... like a sound post on a violin but centered.

You can use dowels between the top and back, to keep the top from sagging. If it's a laminate top you could probably get by with just one... like a sound post on a violin but centered.

Cheers sim, much appreciated. I will post some pics when it's done.

Has anyone tried fitting a violin tailpiece to a uke or has anyone a suggestion as to making one?

Has anyone tried fitting a violin tailpiece to a uke or has anyone a suggestion as to making one?

How about a block tailpiece, Glued above where a tailpin would be. Knot the strings and feed them up through. Kind of like a bridge on the back.

S4300035_2.JPG

May get more ideas at cigarboxnation.com if you haven't tried it yet. They build instruments out of all sorts of things besides cigar boxes.

spookey, you are a gloriously fruity individual.
:cheers:

Didn't some brave fellow on UU build a uke from the crank casing of a "Briggs and Stratton" lawnmower engine a few years back :confused:
Keef who built it and here is the thread.
http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...eef-s-Briggs-amp-Stratton-Ukulele-Build/page5

We always seem to forget as instrument "buying" musicians that back in the day if you wanted an instrument, or needed to customise one, you had to do it yourself and from whatever comes to hand. I love the idea of the crank casing. I've got two 1947 AJS ones lying around. Mind you, you wouldn't be able to lift the uke to play it!

spookey, you are a gloriously fruity individual.
:cheers:

Eugene, you little Tasmanian Devil, you. You always say the nicest things. I'm going to make a photo journal of this build and post it. The donor concert uke is famerboy's. It was destroyed in an unfortunate "dancing" escapade at school. Nuff said on that one!

Top Bottom