Talking sense...

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Jose Romanillos gives the reason for studying tradition and testing it, not altering it - although about guitar making it applies here, to ukulele design and tradition:

Watch any videos of this retired luthier - incredible skill with simple hand tools. Watch closely cutting a binding rebate with a chisel and then using what appears to be a 'granny's tooth' to finish the proces. Chiselling out a rosette channel is another revelation and shaping the neck is something I cannot get my head around. These insights are all in the 2 part documentary vids. So good to watch :)

There is also studying the tradition(s) (plural), testing them, and then learning from the weaknesses to make things better.

There are serious structural problems with "traditional" steel string guitar design...and they have showed up over the long haul. I say fix 'em.

Give yourself a treat and read Romanillos' book on Antonio Torres. Torres worked through quite an number of designs in his evolution as a guitarmaker. As has Romaniillos. Comparing plans of instruments a few years apart will show the changes in thinking of both these builders. There is a great deal to be learned from the old guys - if for no other reason than setting a baseline for experimentation. And I still build instruments based on the traditional style - there is a kind of comfort in knowing what to expect. But, there is also a great deal of enjoyment in trying new ideas.
I cannot conceive of building without knowledge of how the Masters built their instruments (Kamaka, in the case of ukuleles), and that knowledge gives me the basis for building my own. But the evolutions in instruments made by the Masters also shows they were experimenting, looking for something better. Why should I do otherwise?

Top Bottom