banjo/uke

chillywilly

Reaction score
Hope i am posting this in the right place. My dad gave me his uke last year (and i am now hooked) and he also gave me his Slingerland short neck tenor banjo.
What are the possibilities of stringing the banjo to tune like the uke?
Was thinking of trying the Worth strings as they are longer...
I know this will be the bad part......
Thoughts, ideas?

thank you

How long from farthest peg to the tail anchor? Could you use baritone strings either a GCEA or a DGBE set?

I'd recommend tuning it DGBE with steel strings. You'll get the most out of it, and banjo strings really don't hurt your fingertips after the first few plays.

I'd recommend tuning it DGBE with steel strings. You'll get the most out of it, and banjo strings really don't hurt your fingertips after the first few plays.

+1 on this. It will sound like a banjo and play like a ukulele.

I actually strung my Gold Tone concert banjo uke with steel and just love it! For those who might want to try it, I bought a set of ultra-light electric guitar strings (08s) and used the four lightest strings. Tuned GCEA with a low G of course.

With steel strings it sounds like a banjo has some advantages and some disadvantages. If you are playing with/against several other instruments, it does help projection, but if you are playing alone and singing, or with maybe a ukulele, you will be overpowering. I have a long-neck 5 string; a baritone scale Madison -Monroe travel 5string: Gold Tone Plucky 5 string; a UB-1F (Reflector) 4 string; a banjo mandolin with a 11 1/2" skin and a 12 1/2" reflector ALL strung with Aquila strings. I
also have a hearing loss. When I stand in the back of our meeting room and have someone else play it at the front of the room, even bare-eared, it lets its presence be known. ---- my fingers never hurt----

into macdsc

thanks for all the help....wanted to try and tune like the uke.....i keep thinking the extra long worth strings will work.....thanks again

Top Bottom