Who Says You Can't Be Depressed Playing A Uke???

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
Here's a cover of a really depressing song by one of my favorite artists, Richard Thompson.

Good work! Rumor and Sigh is one of my favorite albums. How can we only be expected to play happy songs on ukuleles when minor chords sound so darned good on them?

I will hold on to my convictions. You cannot feel sad and play ukulele at the same time. Even if you're nailing a sad song!

Nice, well-done!
First Richard Thompson song I heard was "Coyotes." It was in a documentary about Timothy Treadwell called "Grizzly Man" ... Right after Treadwill got eaten by a bear. (spoiler alert) (guess I said that too late) Anyway, yeah, that song is depressing too. But also very sad. I mean also very beautiful.

R T has a long long history of sad, depressing, and beautiful songs.

There's usually at least one good buy-a-beer-to-cry-in song on every RT album. "End of the Rainbow" is on the short list of the most depressing songs of all time. I was once at a concert where he did that as an encore to intentionally buzzkill the audience, so they could get people to leave in order to seat the second show of the night.

Yep... "End Of The Rainbow" is a super downer! It's interesting that he writes such great depressing songs, since he's actually quite a funny person!

"Has He Got A Friend For Me" tops my list, I think. Possibly the best depressing song I can think of written from a woman's perspective. Linda sang it best, but I've heard Richard sing it too.

"Can't Win", "Waltzing's for Dreamers", "Al Bowlly's in Heaven", "Put Her There Pal"... He's got a ton of them.

Honestly, I guess my favorite depressing RT song is whichever one I'm listening to at the moment!

Top Bottom