new uke day

TheOnlyUkeThatMatters

Reaction score
Easy for me to resist UAS in music shops (there are so many, how could I ever choose?) and online (there are SO MANY, same idea), but when I find a great deal locally on craigslist, resistance isn't easy---especially when my sweet wife does a little friendly enabling---"Remember honey, I didn't find you a nice birthday present this year."

So I met this lovely Kiwaya KS-0P and her former owner here in Portland this afternoon, the Kiwaya made a terrific first impression, came home with me, and we've been getting to know each other all evening. Here's a pic...

Photo 549.jpg

Here's how she sounds when gently strummed (strings are still stretching)...

Congratulations on your new (to you) ukulele! It looks and sounds great! Nice singing and playing, too.

Great find! Sounds sweet. Great performance too. Enjoy your new pineapple... she's a cutie!

Some things are meant to be, and this was one! Congratulations on your wonderful find!

Kathryn

Very nice find Ralf. There seems to be more than the average share of nice finds on the Portland craigslist! :)

Fantastic playing and singing, as usual. It started my day of right!

D

Hello Ralf,
--especially when my sweet wife does a little friendly enabling---"Remember honey, I didn't find you a nice birthday present this year."
Lucky guy you are, nice singing and strumming, nice pineapple, nice chair. Did you carve the back?? Looks good. Congratulations on all accounts.
1931jim

Love your new uke. I have always had a hankerin' for a kiwaya. Congratulations. Great performance. I love your selection of music.

Cool....congrats on a beautiful new ukulele! Also, congrats on such a wonderful wife....

I've got one of those as my travel/car/beach uke. Every time I play it I'm amazed at how good the tone is, and how LOUD it is, for such a little thing.

What kind of strings are you using? They sound great!

Thanks, everyone!

Congrats on your new aquirement, nice singing and playing...Happy Strummings I am so jealolus, as I have not tried a Kiwaya yet..

At some point, you must get your hands on a Kiwaya, Stan. This uke was clearly built and finished to be loved and played. Sounds terrific and feels amazing (everything is smooth and tight; it's incredibly light).

Very nice find Ralf. There seems to be more than the average share of nice finds on the Portland craigslist! :)
It's true. Portland's got more than its share of musicians, so great used instruments are constantly available. It takes patience to find a really good deal, though. Like, say, a Moore Bettah or something. ;)

Hello Ralf,
--especially when my sweet wife does a little friendly enabling---"Remember honey, I didn't find you a nice birthday present this year."
Lucky guy you are, nice singing and strumming, nice pineapple, nice chair. Did you carve the back?? Looks good. Congratulations on all accounts.
1931jim

Thanks. No carving from me---woodworking is on the list of things I'd like to learn to do someday. The chair came from good, old Portland craigslist.

I've got one of those as my travel/car/beach uke. Every time I play it I'm amazed at how good the tone is, and how LOUD it is, for such a little thing.

What kind of strings are you using? They sound great!
I'm also amazed by the sound of this uke. Nice tone, nice volume, nice sustain. It really moves the air.

Those are GHS strings---they sound and feel great.

Those are GHS strings---they sound and feel great.

GHS strings, are you kidding me? My only experience with those was as the stock strings on my starter Ohana, and on that uke they were just awful. Proof that it really does depend on the uke, and the player, and not just the strings. Wow!

Aloha Miss M,
I got GHS on several ukes....and certain ones they are nice... good for playability and comfort too....they gotta match the uke though...
I have them on my white label Kamaka tenor I was playing last few days and it rocks...

such a lovely instrument Ralf, and your performance just magnifies it mate. Great buy brother. I think you would bring the best out of every instrument you play.

Aloha Miss M,
I got GHS on several ukes....and certain ones they are nice... good for playability and comfort too....they gotta match the uke though...
I have them on my white label Kamaka tenor I was playing last few days and it rocks...

Mahalo Stan, I think I'm going to have to start being more adventurous about strings!

Mahalo Stan, I think I'm going to have to start being more adventurous about strings!

good idea Jane, you can easily take em off again!!! I'm a bit like you too I admit, I found worths and have thought they were the holy grail, and been loathe to try anything different...but recently I've acquired a few kinds of different sets now, courtesy of Ralf, Ken, Dirk and others and am going through the process of testing them out. It's fun! :)

it really does depend on the uke, and the player, and not just the strings.
Definitely. I use a spreadsheet to keep track of how different strings sound on different ukes. (I have a little rating system. Heh.) So far all it's revealed to me is that there is no "best" string material or string brand for me. Certain ukes and certain strings just match well. Seems random, too. I've learned to trust my ears and my fingertips, and to get the most out of every string set I try.

Aloha Miss M,

"Comfort" is the best word to describe GHS strings. Great feel. Mellow. I need to try them on my Kamaka standard sometime.

Top Bottom