Who is Ray (Roy?) Sakurmora? Strumming Pattern Master?

OldManGuitar&UkeNewbie

Reaction score
I heard a great uke player on a cruise ship recently, and I asked him about a source for strum patterns, which I want to expand. The recommended name was Ray or Roy Sakurmora, or something that sounds close to that. When I got home from the cruise I have tried to find that name on the internet in vain.

Anyone heard of that guy, and knows the correct spelling?

I've got a couple of basic strum patterns down, but I'm always looking for new ones.................

Thanks ya'll.

Roy Sakuma owns the largest ukulele studio in Hawaii. He has literally taught thousands of people the uke. His students included many of the top ukulele players today. He also runs the Ukulele Fest at Kapiolani Park.

Roy also has a couple of DVDs that are instructional -- you may want to check them out.

Uke Hunt has a great e-book for download on strumming that teaches it very well. Have fun with strums. I'm finding that they are easier to learn than I thought. The hard part is keeping them going in time! He's got a great site too. Anyway, try Uke Hunt. D

Have you found any of those yet? I'd like to find them as well 'cause it is also hard for me to know what fits where.....

Roy Sakuma owns the largest ukulele studio in Hawaii. He has literally taught thousands of people the uke. His students included many of the top ukulele players today. He also runs the Ukulele Fest at Kapiolani Park.

i guess jake would be his most famous student(he went through roy sakuma studios when he was a young kid.. )

Have you found any of those yet? I'd like to find them as well 'cause it is also hard for me to know what fits where.....

Was this directed to me? If so, the examples of strum patterns are at the link you gave ME.:)

Many of the songs he provides (as examples) are ones totally foreign to me, but it's pretty easy to "hear" the strum being used, especially if the example is a single uke player. Actually I don't have much trouble with strums anyway.....95% of the time. But there is occasionally that odd song that is an exception.

I was just asking the same about where to put what strum where. It's hard for me to know just yet what strum to use for what song...abeedee-abeedee-abeedee and that's all folks!!!

Last edited:
I was just asking the same about where to put what strum where. It's hard for me to know just yet what strum to use for what song...abeedee-abeedee-abeedee and that's all folks!!!

I'm slowly but surely figuring that out......I think maybe I'm learning that a little slower now at age 65 than at age 25!:confused:

i guess jake would be his most famous student(he went through roy sakuma studios when he was a young kid.. )

Wasn't Brittni Paiva one of his students, also?

Top Bottom