Strings

UkeyDave

Reaction score
I was wondering what sort of life you can expect to get out of your Aquilla Strings (hope I've spelt that correctly). I realise this probably varies but how often do the more experienced users find they have to change strings.
Regards
Dave

I play daily for at least two hours,and I am a fairly
heavy handed player.A set of Aquilas will last me
for around four months at that,maybe six months
if I am lucky.After about four months they don't ring
like they should anyway,so its generally time for a
change.Worth strings last me up to a year before
there is any noticable difference.
Aquilas are great on laminates,to drive the soundboard
'harder'.Worths are fine on a solid topped uke.Just my
opinion of course!

Not really relevant, but I'll post anyway -- I used D'Addario T2s. I HATE to change strings. But, I just changed them 3 days ago after having the old strings on for about 3 1/2 months. I play about 2 hours a day. Holy smokes! Even I could tell a difference. I shall not wait so long to change strings again. I know it depends on how much you play, but strings are pretty inexpensive so I think 2 months is probably a good life for strings. And I'm sure the brand of strings doesn't matter.

I play one uke an average of 2 hours a day. After I neglected to change strings for nearly a year, my instructor suggested that I should change my strings every 3 months or so - and he's right, it does make quite a difference! I doubt that the brand matters much, but if you play the same uke a lot, I'd go with 2-4 months as a general guideline.

Just to note, wound strings don't last nearly as long as plain ones. For me, wound strings will last at most three to four weeks before degrading, whereas plain strings will last a couple of months easily. If your regular set includes and wound strings, see if you can buy them singly and stock up. If you don't use any wound strings, disregard this post!

Top Bottom