Looking for some more advanced books!

tcHls1

Reaction score
Hey there everyone! I just got an Amazon gift card for $50, so naturally my first thought was to get a few ukulele books. My question is, what should I get? I've searched the forums but most recommendations are for beginners, and I'm looking for something intermediate-advanced (soloing, fingerpicking songs, etc.). I've got Jake Shimabukuro's song book already, and I'm also planning on getting Fretboard Roadmaps, so any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

And as a short side-note, for anyone with a Kamaka HF-3, which strings would would you recommend I try next: Aquila's or Worth's? I currently have D'addario's on mine and wanted to try something new, and I'm torn between the two!

I'm not a fan of Aquilas in general, but they sound fantastic on my friend's HF-3, so if I were you I'd give them a try. Make sure they're Nylguts, not Bionylons. I doubt that you can go wrong with either Aquilas or Worths.

A few book recommendations:

John King Classical Ukulele
Famous Solos and Duets for Ukulele
Fingerstyle Solos for Ukulele
Blues Ukulele
From Lute to Uke
Bluegrass Ukulele
And if you enjoy classical, Rob MacKillop's books are highly recommended - I just realized I don't have any of them, and am planning to start with this one.

I've written two books of ukulele music, but neither are available on Amazon. And I just sell them as PDFs, so they're a little cheaper (about $12 US) than most print books. And you get to save trees by only printing what you want, when you want it. So, if you're looking for intermediate level stuff, some people here could give you a fair appraisal of my work. The link to my website is below.

As for Amazon, I HIGHLY recommend the John King (especially the Classical Ukulele) and Lyle Ritz (especially the solos) books. You can spend ages on those pieces. Jumpin' Jim makes an excellent product, and you're supporting a lovely guy.

If you are looking for finger picking books make sure they are for your tuning, low G or high G.

What style do you like?

John King's books, The Classical Ukulele and Famous Solos and Duets for the Ukulele, are great if you're looking for challenging, interesting arrangements.

And if you enjoy classical, Rob MacKillop's books are highly recommended - I just realized I don't have any of them, and am planning to start with this one.

His Gaspar Sanz book is also very nice, even though Amazon says it's temporarily out of stock.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0786683325

"The Ukulele: A History" is not a book of playable music, but would probably make a nice addition to your collection.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0824836340/

If you don't have one, consider an electronic tuner or a hygrometer. :)

Top Bottom