Dolores River - original

OldePhart

Reaction score
As you've probably figured out by now most of my originals are kind of humorous but this one is an exception. I spent many an hour on the lower Dolores river in southwestern Colorado when I was a young'n. In 89 they finished a reservoir that pretty much destroyed my old stompin' grounds. The lake covers many of the trails where I went hiking and camping as a teenager and the stretch of river from the new dam to where another river flows into the Dolores from the other side of the mountain went from a healthy river that could be navigated in medium rafts most of the year to a very unhealthy "drainage ditch" year-round most years. When they do let a little water spill from the dam (which is rare because they adopted a "fill then spill" mentality) it flows muddy and dangerous, filled with downed trees and other debris that a healthy river keeps swept clear.

I remember several years ago I came across a picture on the internet of a disgusting mud pit that I recognized, barely, as one of my old swimming holes on the lower Dolores. I don't think I ever saw that stretch of river "unswimmable" when I was growing up there, even in the hottest, driest, summers. When I started thinking about rivers for the 19th season of the ukulele over in the contest forum I remembered that picture and the song came from that memory contrasted with my childhood and teen memories.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqWJNP14OUI&feature=youtu.be

BTW, the uke is my new Mainland mahogany soprano that I picked up during UWC, strung with Seaguar leaders in gages the same as used in a Worth CH (heavy) set. It's so loud that I was driving the cheap camera microphone (Microsoft LifeCam) into clipping even though the last time I used it (and manually set the audio level) I was playing a tenor uke!

John

Top Bottom