New and need assistance...

KCD

Reaction score
I posted the other day in the Introduction area, so there are more particulars in that post. Specifically, I am a beginner. I have played the guitar for years, but age and arthritis have taken their toll on my fingers. I can't handle the wire strings any more, and six of them are just too many. I'm thinking a baritone uke would suit me just fine. Gentle nylon strings and less of them, but with no new chords to learn. This is an experiment that I hope will work out, but I want to ease in gently; I can always upgrade if the experiment is a success.

Dose anyone have any experience with these specific instruments...
1.) Kohala KP-B Kanikapila
2.) Makai BK-55
3.) Makala MK-B
4.) Lanikai KP-B Knaikapila

I've heard the Makala on You-Tube and it sounds fine, but someone at a big on-line store told me it was junk. I've not heard the others. everybody who has a Makala loves it. I've read as many reviews for all three as I can get my hand on and all I'm doing now is confusing myself. Point is I will probably buy one of the three, but most likely it will be a "sight unseen" purchase; there are no uke sellers anywhere near me and now uke players that I know of in the area either. Of the three, which one would most likely please me ???

Thank you for your help...

KCD

Last edited:
If it's to me one of the three you've listed, I recommend the Lanikai. I have very little experience with Baritones, but all makais and Makalas I've tried have been at best entry level instruments at best. Lanikais seem to be more musical and better made.

I doubt you'll beat this one. My son has one, and it looks like it costs at least 3 times the price. Sounds sweet.... all solid mahogany, bone nut and saddle. (note qualifier) For this kind of money, blows away "everything"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Music-L...026?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a768b6cda

On the cheaper side: http://www.ebay.com/itm/c-1955-VEGA...721?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cc80fba69

http://www.ebay.com/itm/The-Music-L...?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f186656f7or:

This Makai has Very thin laminate, bone nut and saddle. Generally sound better than similar ukes in their price range : http://www.ebay.com/itm/GREAT-BEGIN...018?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3360f52e5a

Last edited:
I'd put my Makai tenor up against anything else in the beginner range. It looks and sounds better to me than Lanikai or Kala at the low end, haven't tried Makala or Kohala.

Whatever you do, most here would highly recommend getting it from a source that will make sure it is playable for you ... set it up. Uke Republic (www.ukerepublic.com), Hawaii Music Supply (www.theukulelesite.com), and Mim are all good sources (www.mimsukes.com).

Last edited:
I'd put my Makai tenor up against anything else in the beginner range. It looks and sounds better to me than Lanikai or Kala at the low end, haven't tried Makala or Kohala.

Whatever you do, most here would highly recommend getting it from a source that will make sure it is playable for you ... set it up. Uke Republic (www.ukerepublic.com), Hawaii Music Supply (www.theukulelesite.com), and Mim are all good sources (www.mimsukes.com).

Makai's are underrated. I have a pineapple. They have thinner laminate than other similarly priced ukes and comes with a bone nut and saddle while the others generally do not. Lots of sound for the money.

Those you listed are all entry level ukes...and outta all I too pick the Makai....but if you spend say a hundred dollars more you will get a way more sufficent baritone ukulele
Good Luck and Happy Stummings...

Where were you all in June?

Thank you guys for responding to my question, but where were you in June when I asked it? The first response didn't come in until July. I read that and used that as a beginning point, deciding to learn more about the Lanikai product. I was able to contact a representative of the company (couldn't reach others) who was both honest and helpful. He answered, without any obvious preferences, all my questions about his, and other brands. I bought one of his and have been immensly satisfied and pleased with it. It is a beginner, or entry-level instrument, but it has great tone for what it is. Like all entry-level instruments it is a laminate, but it is all mahogany and possesses a sweet tone. The instrument came with a nice enough set-up so that I didn't feel the need to visit a luthier (I also play a vintage Gibson LG-3 that has had to be adjusted once or twice).

My initial thought was to buy this entry-level instrument, see if I liked the Baritone Uke, and upgrade in the fall (several months past). I can find no reason to upgrade. I have played several others at music stores and the difference in sound is not significant enough to cause me to upgrade. For what I want, the Lanikai is better than serving the purpose.

Thanks again for all your thoughts.

KCD

Well, there must have been something messed up with the website, because my screen shows a response within 32 minutes. Have fun with your continuing uke adventures!

Kathryn...

Interesting, I didn't even look at the posting dates. I was notified this morning that there had been a reply to a post I had made. I didn't even remember what the post had been about. I read the post that was mentioned in my notification, just as I have read yours, and posted the response you read. At no time before this morning do I recall being notified that there had been a response to a post (had there been such notification, I would have logged in and responded, but there never was). If my response seemed harsh, I apologize, but for a post to seemingly go for seven months without notice of a reply seemed odd and I probably overreacted. Sorry.

KCD

That's why I figured it was the website (apologies to the website!) and not you. When I saw the post, I almost responded - especially because just last night night I was playing both a Makala baritone and a Pono baritone (and while I preferred the Pono, I liked the Makala just fine).

Weird. :confused:

You know, Kathryn, had I known about all the advice in all those posts, I might not have bought the Uke I did, might not have opened the dialog with the guy at Lanikai, etc, etc, etc.. Could a, should a, would a. Well, it matters not as I am quite happy with my lanikai and have no plans do do anything but put top drawer strings on it when (but not before) they are needed.

KCD

Kathryn...

Interesting, I didn't even look at the posting dates. I was notified this morning that there had been a reply to a post I had made. I didn't even remember what the post had been about. I read the post that was mentioned in my notification, just as I have read yours, and posted the response you read. At no time before this morning do I recall being notified that there had been a response to a post (had there been such notification, I would have logged in and responded, but there never was). If my response seemed harsh, I apologize, but for a post to seemingly go for seven months without notice of a reply seemed odd and I probably overreacted. Sorry.

KCD

Yeah, no "probably" about it. I usually check back frequently when I post. Didn't know getting notified was an option.

Top Bottom