Taisamlu tuner mod's

Timbuck

Reaction score
I've been playing around with the tuners I get from "Taisamlu"
I'm trying to get a more vintage look ..Besides reshaping the buttons I have now done away with the bush at the front of the headstock ..Here are a couple of pic's showing before and after.
What do you think ?
Before
beforepeg.jpg

After
pegmod.jpg

I like the nice, clean look on the front, but I LOVE the reshaped buttons. Very nice work.

So by doing away with the bushing you don't need to drill a stepped hole? Did you put a washer where the bushing is supposed to go? This would bring the weight down slightly and be an easier installation.

So by doing away with the bushing you don't need to drill a stepped hole? Did you put a washer where the bushing is supposed to go? This would bring the weight down slightly and be an easier installation.

Yes..it's the metal washer that comes with the tuner it usualy fits at the rear....You just move it from the back to the front...I've only done it on this one uke so far, just to see if it works ok...Now what do i do with the left over bushes ?.

The 'before' look appeals more to me, just my personal preference, as it seems more styled and finished. It seems to make the spindle look a bit high. I think the 'after' look may just take me some getting used to it. BTW I heard the first automobiles had buggey whip holders, because the designers were used to seeing them on coaches. :)

Last edited:
Isn't the bush there to proivde a better bearing surface than the bare wood? I can see the 'new look' working with mahogany necks but not cedar. Nice look, classic and very neat. However, as much as I admire what you do Ken, this is one I won't be trying... I like the idea of that little nylon bush in its metal housing working to preserve the integrity of the post hole!

Afterthought:
How about setting that washer just above the surface of the headplate using a counterbore?

I took the idea from my 1930's Martin (that I use for reference) The tuners on that have no bushes..just a washer..and the hole is hardly worn at all...But I do agree that the plated brass bush plus nylon liner is a far better engineering job...but I'm after the vintage look:cool:

Doesn't your Martin have the patented tuner like the one I sent you with the barrel that is chamfered at 45 degrees? What are you using for a clearance hole in the headstock?

Ye gods and little fishes..! Get thee some violin pegs, a reamer and stop the tinkering.

But apart from that very spontaneous reaction, I like the look of the mod. I hate gold tuners, and I think Pete has a point about counter boring for the washer and maybe the hat on the tuner post. That should keep it steady in the hole.

There is something wrong with my postings co's I can't add quotes or edit or send PM's "Mr Moderater please note"

But my martin tuners are the same as this pic' of a 5K Martin headstock.. No nickle plated barrel with spring, No bushes, just a 45 degree taper on the button at the back and a washer at the front..and it works ok :)
Martin_5K_ukulele_headstock_back_opt.jpg

There is something wrong with my postings co's I can't add quotes or edit or send PM's "Mr Moderater please note"
Heh, that'll have saved me from a stern pm then. That taper you speak of, is it in the plastic knob and just going into a fitting hole? Sounds crude but also sounds as it would work. Almost like a tapered wooden peg.

Heh, that'll have saved me from a stern pm then. That taper you speak of, is it in the plastic knob and just going into a fitting hole? Sounds crude but also sounds as it would work. Almost like a tapered wooden peg.

Thats right Sven..Crude and simple..But Martin thought it was good enough for a top of the range uke in those days..My 1930's Style "0" tuners also work pretty good and make that creaking friction sound like "violin pegs" do when you adjust them.:)

I can't let this go... I just finished a modest restoration job on an oldie that has been kicking around for too long. It had some quite big wooden peg tuners before, but when it was time to put them back they had sort of drowned in the mess in my shop. So I dug around and found some small friction tuners that I don't know where they came from. But the bushing were an exact [press] fit in the front of the holes. And they had a tapered knob so I skipped the plastic washer with its concave pit and put the knobs on. They work perfectly so far.

After some looking around I see that they are very close in appearance to these:

t_831.jpg

Apparently Grover tuners. Ken, is this close to the Martin arrangement that you mentioned?

Sven

Must be awfully hard to keep in tune Ken... the tuners being that far from the headstock and all.

But I do like this idea. At least if the headstock is of mahogany or some other moderately hard wood. A Spanish cedar neck would benefit from headstock veneers on both front and backside, since cedar is so soft.

Thanks for the pic. Now invent some jig for your lathe.

Those are a retro fit I think Ken. All of the Martin ukes I have had the pleasure of playing and examining have had small roundish to oval buttons... Mind you, I just love that Kluson look :)

Top Bottom