Ukutabs

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazmaz

Reaction score
Run a WHOIS on both urls

Hmm, different nameservers and different registrants.

If it was the same person behind both, you'd think they'd use the same hosting.

Al Woods site and Curt Sheller's site have been around before UU. Since I've been with UU, I've seen a number of other ukulele sites, ukulele tab sites and blogs pop up after it's enormous success. I don't think Al has anything to do with Ukutabs. Live Ukulele (Brad's site) came up around the same time frame (if I remember right). It's just unfortunate there are folks who use information from these sites because they don't have the imagination or originality to create. The least they can do is credit and reference the info to the original author.

Last edited:
I used to read a lot of crafting and sewing blogs and this happened a lot -- a real problem for some of those crafters who were trying to build a name and business. In some cases, all the robbed person had to do was contact the thief and the posts or blog would be removed. You would be surprised how often the thief believed or claim to believe that she had done nothing wrong and thought that was the way the internet/blogs/websites operated.

I'm reserving judgement on whether it's copied til I hear from Al ( I messaged him) - not cool if it is unauthorised.

Ok, I've spoken to Al - its a rip off. Not authorised. I think that stinks and trust UU members will think the same. Al runs his site as a living - it's his job. To just blatantly copy content with no permission...

I've registered for the Ukutabs forum. As soon as I get my authorisation email I'll pose the question.

Good one.

I may email them too.

I'm wondering if it's some sort of cash generating scam site that someone threw together. The fact that Jonas posted on the forum, and a "new" member (the only one) posted 30 minutes later to say how he loves the site and uses it every day smalls like bullshit to me.

Looking over the site there are shades of design reminiscent of all sorts of sites. The name and logo with the flower is clearly based on Ukulele Tabs.

They have now added attribution links back to Live Ukulele and Uke Hunt!

Yeah, I left a message on their facebook page and almost immediately he started following me on twitter to tell me that. I asked if he'd asked for permission first.

Using content with attribution is what is needed when copying and pasting. I believe Ukehunt content is offered under Creative Commons for that purpose. But no attribution is bad.

Even then though, would be nice to see the site owners own writing, his own top 10 etc. Al isn't the only person to have a top ten tips on his site, and it's nice when I read others own top ten tips.

Just had a look and the chord diagrams are very similar to the Ukulele Tabs ones, I know, I know, you can't do much with chord diagrams, but still, it feels like he's ripped off the whole site!

EDIT: Turns out he got in trouble for doing just that so made his own, but they are remarkably similar!

Last edited:
Wow. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

I believe Ukehunt content is offered under Creative Commons for that purpose. But no attribution is bad.
I didn't see any mention of that. Just "Copyright © 2012 - All rights reserved".

Seems most of the site's content has been "borrowed" from other sources. It's ironic that they posted this without crediting where they've acquired their "content":

At the time of writing (7th April 2012) UkuTabs is only 3 weeks old and already a lot has happened to the website, I’m amazed myself, but still a lot has to be done. Especially content! Content is the key and you can help me with that, simply submit your ukulele tabs! Thank you and stay tuned, this story is just starting!
Now, look at their tab for Jake's "Weeps". I somehow doubt the site owner personally transcribed it, yet they've stamped "by Ukutabs.com" on the PDF. :rolleyes:

It's a lazy site IMHO. Tells us nothing about the site owners uke experience, likes, dislikes etc.

I'm assuming it's just set up to be a money spinner in some way with zero contribution from the site owner themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom