Brueko #6 or Ohana SK-38?

sbpark

Reaction score
Looking to get a soprano uke. Prefer an old-timey sound, and don't want to break the bank. These two seem to fit the bill, since I'd like to spend no more than $250. Anyone own either of these and/or have a preference of one over the other?

I used to own an Ohana CK35 and it was a nice little instrument for what it was, and surprisingly intonated perfectly up the entire neck. Can I expect the Brueko to be at least as good or better quality than the Ohana?

Thanks in advance for your replies!

I am a Bruko convert. I own a No. 6 and a No. 1 (flat black solid maple) and love them both. I got mine from thomann cyberstore in Germany and it cost me about $180 including shipping. http://www.thomann.de/gb/brueko_ukulele.htm It is all solid wood built in a 1st world country (Germany) and it is less than $200 with shipping included! I do like the looks of the Ohana SK-38 and might pick one up at some point but I really love Bruko ukuleles. Herr Pfeiffer the owner of Bruko is a wonderful man and very generous. Read some of the Bruko reviews here in the underground.

Another vote for Bruko, but just to make things really difficult: if it's an ol-time sound you're after, put Hamano on your list.

Good luck in the hunt.

Listen to sound samples of both ukes to hear what is more like the sound you are going for.
I had a SK-38. It was a nice light uke, and really did sound like an old Martin. (It was also intentionally distressed to look vintage, kind of cool looking.)

SK 38 Sample http://www.box.net/shared/74uj8o38bsfzv1qcuvfp

Last edited:
I think you've probably narrowed it down to the two best sounding, value for money ukuleles in that price range, with the exception of mainland ukes. Both are awesome sounding. I've lost count of the positive comments made about the SK38 and there's lots of love for Bruko round here at the moment too..don't think you can go wrong either way. My view is that the bruko has a slightly thinner, plinkier voice which I love personally, but not all do...happy shopping!!! :)

Sbpark, I own both of these instruments. The build, singular appearance, and solidity of the Breüko #6 is easily equal to the Ohana sk-38 which is merely average in appearance and feel. The Breüko #6 is more comfortable for me to play because the fret board is 1, 7/16" wide and the Ohana is 1, 5/16" wide. Initially I felt cramped on the Ohana but in short time adjusted with no problem. The Breüko has a chunkier neck than the Ohana and I like how that feels. Intonation is decent enough on both instruments. The Ohana is more resonant with a deep bass for a soprano. The Ohana "barks" and shames my Martin s-1 with the richness and complexity of the sound. My Breüko #6 has a unique sound that seems to have a built in "stacatto" to it. Banjo-like you might say. But it will not be shamed by the Ohana. These are two entirely different sounding instruments excellent for their own fine qualities and which you pick depends on - well, I have no idea what would make you choose one over the other because I own both and would not give up either.

I can't speak for the Bruko but I do own a SK38 and I love it. It's loud and rich
and everything you would expect from a solid hog uke. Quality of build is very good and as far as
I'm concerned its a keeper.
Cheers
Gary

Never even held a Bruko, but I must say that the SK-38 is my favorite sounding uke. Guess I am a "odd ball"", but I like the sound of Mahogany more than my KOA. (I like the playability of my KoAloha KOA Concert Neck Soprano and play it often, but for sound, it's the SK-38.

No matter which one you get I would recommend changing the strings out. The Ohana I think comes with Auila Nylon-gut strings. Aquila sounds great on laminate ukuleles and I like them on spruce or maple tops but I don't think they sound as nice on solid mahogany ukuleles. The Bruko comes with Pyramid fluro-carbon strings. Pyramid strings just don't do it for me (or anyone I've met so far). I would upgrade to some nicer fluro-carbons like Martins or Worths. To be honest if you're like most of the people on this forum you'll end up with both ukuleles anyway :)

Thanks you everyone for all the replies! I have to say I really like the idea of the Brueko, love the look and the fact that they are a small operation and dig the sound. On the other hand, I have owned an Ohana in the past, and was VERY impressed with it as well. So I'm still up in the air on which one to get. Don't have the option of playing either before buying. I'll post back when I figure out which one to get with pictures! Thanks!

Top Bottom