Bass Ukulele

DanielHulbert

Reaction score
Need a bass?

Don't have space?

Put a smile on your face!

*i'll stop now* :eek:

I made myself a solid body bass ukulele. It has a 20 inch scale length.
Here is a picture of the planning stage. The ukulele on the bottom is concert sized (for scale).

DSCN7164.jpg

I used an Ashbory nut and tuners along with Road Toad polyurethane strings. The neck was made out of maple. The tuners are all left handed so the two on the right loop around the peg the opposite way. Not ideal, but it works.

DSCN7285.jpg

I mounted the rod piezo behind the string saddles. I tried to tuck it into the pocket at the back of the bridge, but it wasn't responsive enough.

DSCN7308.jpg

The rod piezo is connected to an active preamp power by a 9 volt battery.

DSCN7301.jpg

The body is solid ash that was finished with Reranch "orang orange" nitrocellulose laquer. It makes for a funky color combination for a funky little bass.

DSCN7314.jpg

Demo time!

I like it!........

Working on my 5 string bass ukulele today!!! I have to really psyche myself up for this because I should never have taken the commission I despise it that much. Some pics to follow later this week when it is ready for the spay shop.

A few months ago I was approached about making a pretty flash uke bass for a client in New Zealand. It's turned out a treat. Now another is on the workbench for another client in the USA. Other inquires going back and forth now as well. Seems like people just can't get enough of them. You're going to have to suck it up Pete and get with the program. :D

I can't say I'm a fan of any solid body instrument, but for design, sound and that color, I really like what you've done Daniel.

Welcome to the club, Pete and Allen! I'd love to see some pictures of your work.

Last edited:
Top Bottom