Neck Removal

spookefoote

Reaction score
Lancashire, UK (Just around the corner from George
I'm now starting the "Golden Syrup" resonator. I need to remove the neck. Has anyone any experience of removing one from a Makala MK-C concert or suggestions as to how to go about it?

Leave it on the couch.

Kind of hard to know what kind of neck joint it has unless you know someone who has worked on one down to that level. You might try removing the fingerboard to see the joint area. Just make sure you take a couple of frets out first (1st and 11th or so) and drill 1/16" holes so you can relocate and pin the 'board back on in exactly the right place.

This neck is going to make a syrup tin uke, so will not be replaced.

Assuming you have no plans for the body, I'd cut it away (body that is, not neck). Saw along the side of the neck towards the bridge, on each side. Join the cuts about 2 inches past the neck body join.

You now have a neck with some scraps of body attached. Remove them with chisel, plane, knife - whatever. You will be left with neck + neck block, and can decide how best to fit it to your syrup tin.

If I guess right from the other thread, the syrup tin will be the body and the stainless steel thingy the resonator cone. If so, your neck is probably too short - you'll need to extend it to meet the body (and I'd take it right through the tin, to save the string tension buckling the tin). The magic distance is your current nut -> bridge measurement - the saddle on your build needs to be the same distance from the nut.

Just take the fingerboard off, then the top.

And trying to advise on this on-line is kind of ridiculous.

Top Bottom