Golden Syrup Resonator Uke Build

spookefoote

Reaction score
Lancashire, UK (Just around the corner from George
I'm doing a photo / film journal of this build and on completion will upload a link to my youtube site.

The donor uke is a Makala MK-C concert. The machine heads and nut are now off. I've removed the finger board using an iron and also taken away the rest of the damaged sound board. The top edge is dressed ready for the new panel.

My favourite bit, so far, is preparing the sound board. I don't have any 2mm plywood so I got some 0.5mm mahogany veneers out of the cupboard and made my own.

The plug hole strainer also arrived in the post and I'm slowly consuming 500gms of Golden Syrup in order to make the resonator!

More updates will follow.

The one I made I used the tin can that a stack of
DVD discs come in;and I used a cheapie Mahalo
painted soprano for the rest! It was definitely a
reso sound,but not what I was after,so I scrapped
it and used the neck and tuners for a CBU!

Today's update

Today I started by making a card template for the sound board with the necessary markings for the plug hole strainer, resonator etc. Got a bit carried away then and made the resonator out of the Golden Syrup tin. Drilled loads of holes in it then cut it down to 50mm in length. Took the homemade plywood out of the press. Total success. Strong and just over thickness to allow for sanding. Marked and cut out the body profile and holes etc, cut the bridge to fit the tin, prepared some hardwood to anchor the strings and cut the bracing reading for fitting.

More tomorrow. See ya bye.

Well today was quite magical. I took the uke out of the clamps and the homemade mahogany plywood sound board looks fantastic. I've dressed the sides down to the body profile and I'm in the process of preparing it for a deep mahogany danish oil finish. The string anchor is now made and is stained black just to give a little colour contrast.

I'm away most of the weekend so I'll wait until Monday to continue prepping and finishing.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Well tonight I got back from Bangor in North Wales and had to finish the prep on the concert. Man it looks good. After I gave it a good going over with the tack cloth the grain looked so good that I'm going to use clear Danish Oil instead of stained. I can't do anything until Monday now so I'll continue the report Monday evening.

See you then,

Foote

Hello again. Today I stripped the string anchor back down to natural as it looked naff and fixed it to the sound board. The fret board is back on the neck as is the nut. A few coats of Danish oil bring out the grain a treat and the home made pickup is in place.

Tomorrow. String her up and do the final set up.

Sorry, the video will probably be ready at the end of the weekend. The Uke orchestra has been busy recently so everything else is on hold. The resonator does sound great and I would recommend the conversion to anyone with a knackered uke which is lying around waiting to be loved.

I 'ope you got over your sugar shock quick and I am really sure that your dentist now loves you.
Did you record your Uke orchestra playing ?

Top Bottom