Compass rose at gryphon palo alto

hawaii 50

Reaction score
i just got back from gryphon..they have 2 new compass rose ukuleles..
1 flamed mahogany tenor body style C.. and 1 koa body tenor style B both have a gloss finish..
i would say they are AAAA wood..beautiful...they sound real nice too!....if they were building in hawaii,they would be up there with eric devine and chuck moore..

Last edited:
I may be a little biased, but the Compass Rose Ukuleles are fantastic!

I was hoping to meet you at Rick's shop (about a week ago 6/22), I was there looking at/picking out the wood for my build (adi spruce/cherry back and sides; Inv. #4276). I really admire the looks and craftsmanship of your Hive ukulele's. Maybe someday down the line?!

-Gary

i just got back from gryphon..they have 2 new compass rose ukuleles..
1 flamed mahogany tenor body style C.. and 1 koa body tenor style B both have a gloss finish..
i would say they are AAAA wood..beautiful...they sound real nice too!....if they were building in hawaii,they would be up there with eric devine and chuck moore..

Thanks for the heads-up. here are links to the ukes:

http://gryphonstrings.com/instpix/38902/38902.php

http://gryphonstrings.com/instpix/39034/39034.php

I was hoping to meet you at Rick's shop (about a week ago 6/22), I was there looking at/picking out the wood for my build (adi spruce/cherry back and sides; Inv. #4276). I really admire the looks and craftsmanship of your Hive ukulele's. Maybe someday down the line?!

-Gary

Hey Gary,
Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully I will meet you the next time you stop in :)

I may be a little biased, but the Compass Rose Ukuleles are fantastic!

cant wait to see mine..
that mahogany one is sweet...do you know what kind of mahogany it is.. really nice flamed mahogany.....eric devine has a beautiful cuban mahogany uke on his website but I only saw pictures ..that compass rose is nicest mahogany uke I have seen in person... the build and finish quality are unsurpassed...tell rick to charge more..haha, but i like the curly koa uke the best...

Last edited:
cant wait to see mine..
that mahogany one is sweet...do you know what kind of mahogany it is.. really nice flamed mahogany.....eric devine has a beautiful cuban mahogany uke on his website but I only saw pictures ..that compass rose is nicest mahogany uke I have seen in person... the build and finish quality are unsurpassed...tell rick to charge more..haha, but i like the curly koa uke the best...

I believe its Honduras Mahogany. Haha...Rick probably should charge more.

cant wait to see mine..

Hawaii 50, what did you order? Mine is an Adi top with cherry back and sides like I said earlier in the thread. To compensate for the plain looking spruce top I'm having Rick spray it black and then adding white bindings with abalone purfling around the body and headstock. Also doing a small inlay in the fretboard.

Hawaii 50, what did you order? Mine is an Adi top with cherry back and sides like I said earlier in the thread. To compensate for the plain looking spruce top I'm having Rick spray it black and then adding white bindings with abalone purfling around the body and headstock. Also doing a small inlay in the fretboard.

Dang! That should look nice!:) I got mine a few months back and I strung it up last week with Ken's Living Water strings. Totally sounds amazing. I'm going to post a video review soon. Compass Rose ukulele are superb in every way. It really has the tonal qualities of a guitar. Projects like a beast, and you can really hear every string ring. Mine was pretty custom, and the more I compare it to other brands, the I fall deeper I fall in love with it. Hey Len, did you get your's yet? Can't wait to see your Koa! And thanks to you Jake helping build my ukulele. What's better than one ukulele master building your uke? Well, having two masters build it.

Last edited:

i have a style C body with premium flamed koa(if it looks the one at gryphon i will be very happy..).. ricks three color rope purfling..with tourtise binding..and to be little different pedhed style tuners/rick turned me on to these trying to get a little retro look..and a radius on the fretboard...i got to order directly from rick..and it was nice getting to know him a little..i think it is great that he loves to play the uke like the rest of us.. i live in san mateo so i hope i can pick it up from rick in santa cruz..mine should be done soon..
also i have been in contact with kelliyama since i started with this build..(i think he is ricks and jakes best/biggest
fan..)

Last edited:
I believe its Honduras Mahogany. Haha...Rick probably should charge more.

thanks jake..
yeh ricks prices are unreal for the quality of your build and finish..
thanks you guys in advance..

Where is my damn "Like" Button...
And did the OP play the Hives?

to be honest with you..i did not know that jake was building most of the ukuleles with rick..i found out after i made my order..not a real internet kind of guy..and kind of new to uu..but now i know much more about jake and hive ukuleles, he and rick are a great team(compass rose ukes) ..i might get in touch with jake after i get my eric devine uke middle of 2014...yeh i first saw and played a compass rose at gryphon...

Last edited:
They're in the "New Arrival" section.

maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've been unable to find these Compass Rose ukuleles on the Gryphon website. if anyone has working links to these ukuleles, please post them in this thread. Thanks!

maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've been unable to find these Compass Rose ukuleles on the Gryphon website. if anyone has working links to these ukuleles, please post them in this thread. Thanks!

i saw the koa one on the website on monday..sometimes i think they take them off and do the sound recordings on them..if you can go see in person .. the koa one is much nicer than the photos can produce..darker and curly very tight..can not be seen in the pictures...and the mahogany really nice..go drive down you wont be dissaapointed..unless they sold them already..lol

i just went to gryphon website 5 pm pacific time and i see the koa compass rose there..style B gloss finish upgrade..
but no picture of the mahogany..if you are looking for mahogany..hard to beat this...

Last edited:
i have a style C body with premium flamed koa(if it looks the one at gryphon i will be very happy..).. ricks three color rope purfling..with tourtise binding..and to be little different pedhed style tuners/rick turned me on to these trying to get a little retro look..and a radius on the fretboard...i got to order directly from rick..and it was nice getting to know him a little..i think it is great that he loves to play the uke like the rest of us.. i live in san mateo so i hope i can pick it up from rick in santa cruz..mine should be done soon..
also i have been in contact with kelliyama since i started with this build..(i think he is ricks and jakes best/biggest
fan..)

Are you going to the Wine Country Ukulele Festival? I think I might be able to pick mine up there if the build stays on schedule, Rick is doing a demo build during the festival. I also just sent a check out for the inlay work getting done on my fretboard (I'm having my family crest 'mon' inlayed in the fretboard - hopefully my five year old will play some day and I can pass it down to him).

@kelliyama - will you have your uke at the Roy Sakuma festival? I'll be at the festival in a couple weeks.

Are you going to the Wine Country Ukulele Festival? I think I might be able to pick mine up there if the build stays on schedule, Rick is doing a demo build during the festival. I also just sent a check out for the inlay work getting done on my fretboard (I'm having my family crest 'mon' inlayed in the fretboard - hopefully my five year old will play some day and I can pass it down to him).

@kelliyama - will you have your uke at the Roy Sakuma festival? I'll be at the festival in a couple weeks.

aloha ..you really into ukes just like all the rest of us..going to be in hawaii on vacation during wine country festival..i got a kamaka tenor special to pick up ,,going to leave it in hawaii..i retire the end of 2012..and going back home..have you heard of vento ukuleles in hilo..getting one of those too..

Top Bottom