PDA

View Full Version : Compass rose at gryphon palo alto

hawaii 50
07-03-2012, 12:06 PM
i just got back from gryphon..they have 2 new compass rose ukuleles..
1 flamed mahogany tenor body style C.. and 1 koa body tenor style B both have a gloss finish..
i would say they are AAAA wood..beautiful...they sound real nice too!....if they were building in hawaii,they would be up there with eric devine and chuck moore..

maclay
07-03-2012, 06:23 PM
I may be a little biased, but the Compass Rose Ukuleles are fantastic!

gyosh
07-03-2012, 07:25 PM

I was hoping to meet you at Rick's shop (about a week ago 6/22), I was there looking at/picking out the wood for my build (adi spruce/cherry back and sides; Inv. #4276). I really admire the looks and craftsmanship of your Hive ukulele's. Maybe someday down the line?!

-Gary

mds725
07-03-2012, 08:12 PM
i just got back from gryphon..they have 2 new compass rose ukuleles..
1 flamed mahogany tenor body style C.. and 1 koa body tenor style B both have a gloss finish..
i would say they are AAAA wood..beautiful...they sound real nice too!....if they were building in hawaii,they would be up there with eric devine and chuck moore..

Thanks for the heads-up. here are links to the ukes:

http://gryphonstrings.com/instpix/38902/38902.php

http://gryphonstrings.com/instpix/39034/39034.php

maclay
07-03-2012, 08:15 PM
I was hoping to meet you at Rick's shop (about a week ago 6/22), I was there looking at/picking out the wood for my build (adi spruce/cherry back and sides; Inv. #4276). I really admire the looks and craftsmanship of your Hive ukulele's. Maybe someday down the line?!

-Gary

Hey Gary,
Thanks for the kind words. Hopefully I will meet you the next time you stop in :)

maclay
07-03-2012, 08:21 PM
Thanks for the heads-up. here are links to the ukes:

http://gryphonstrings.com/instpix/38902/38902.php

http://gryphonstrings.com/instpix/39034/39034.php

These are links to a Sycamore and Cherry uke. Maybe they haven't listed the Koa and Mahogany ukes yet?

gyosh
07-03-2012, 08:24 PM
These are links to a Sycamore and Cherry uke. Maybe they haven't listed the Koa and Mahogany ukes yet?

They're in the "New Arrival" section.

hawaii 50
07-05-2012, 07:42 AM

cant wait to see mine..
that mahogany one is sweet...do you know what kind of mahogany it is.. really nice flamed mahogany.....eric devine has a beautiful cuban mahogany uke on his website but I only saw pictures ..that compass rose is nicest mahogany uke I have seen in person... the build and finish quality are unsurpassed...tell rick to charge more..haha, but i like the curly koa uke the best...

maclay
07-05-2012, 05:56 PM
cant wait to see mine..
that mahogany one is sweet...do you know what kind of mahogany it is.. really nice flamed mahogany.....eric devine has a beautiful cuban mahogany uke on his website but I only saw pictures ..that compass rose is nicest mahogany uke I have seen in person... the build and finish quality are unsurpassed...tell rick to charge more..haha, but i like the curly koa uke the best...

I believe its Honduras Mahogany. Haha...Rick probably should charge more.

TCK
07-05-2012, 07:26 PM
Where is my damn "Like" Button...
And did the OP play the Hives?

gyosh
07-05-2012, 07:27 PM
cant wait to see mine..

Hawaii 50, what did you order? Mine is an Adi top with cherry back and sides like I said earlier in the thread. To compensate for the plain looking spruce top I'm having Rick spray it black and then adding white bindings with abalone purfling around the body and headstock. Also doing a small inlay in the fretboard.

keliiyama
07-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Hawaii 50, what did you order? Mine is an Adi top with cherry back and sides like I said earlier in the thread. To compensate for the plain looking spruce top I'm having Rick spray it black and then adding white bindings with abalone purfling around the body and headstock. Also doing a small inlay in the fretboard.

Dang! That should look nice!:) I got mine a few months back and I strung it up last week with Ken's Living Water strings. Totally sounds amazing. I'm going to post a video review soon. Compass Rose ukulele are superb in every way. It really has the tonal qualities of a guitar. Projects like a beast, and you can really hear every string ring. Mine was pretty custom, and the more I compare it to other brands, the I fall deeper I fall in love with it. Hey Len, did you get your's yet? Can't wait to see your Koa! And thanks to you Jake helping build my ukulele. What's better than one ukulele master building your uke? Well, having two masters build it.

hawaii 50
07-06-2012, 07:19 AM

i have a style C body with premium flamed koa(if it looks the one at gryphon i will be very happy..).. ricks three color rope purfling..with tourtise binding..and to be little different pedhed style tuners/rick turned me on to these trying to get a little retro look..and a radius on the fretboard...i got to order directly from rick..and it was nice getting to know him a little..i think it is great that he loves to play the uke like the rest of us.. i live in san mateo so i hope i can pick it up from rick in santa cruz..mine should be done soon..
also i have been in contact with kelliyama since i started with this build..(i think he is ricks and jakes best/biggest
fan..)

hawaii 50
07-06-2012, 07:23 AM
I believe its Honduras Mahogany. Haha...Rick probably should charge more.

thanks jake..
yeh ricks prices are unreal for the quality of your build and finish..
thanks you guys in advance..

hawaii 50
07-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Where is my damn "Like" Button...
And did the OP play the Hives?

to be honest with you..i did not know that jake was building most of the ukuleles with rick..i found out after i made my order..not a real internet kind of guy..and kind of new to uu..but now i know much more about jake and hive ukuleles, he and rick are a great team(compass rose ukes) ..i might get in touch with jake after i get my eric devine uke middle of 2014...yeh i first saw and played a compass rose at gryphon...

mds725
07-06-2012, 01:41 PM
They're in the "New Arrival" section.

maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've been unable to find these Compass Rose ukuleles on the Gryphon website. if anyone has working links to these ukuleles, please post them in this thread. Thanks!

hawaii 50
07-06-2012, 01:48 PM
maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've been unable to find these Compass Rose ukuleles on the Gryphon website. if anyone has working links to these ukuleles, please post them in this thread. Thanks!

i saw the koa one on the website on monday..sometimes i think they take them off and do the sound recordings on them..if you can go see in person .. the koa one is much nicer than the photos can produce..darker and curly very tight..can not be seen in the pictures...and the mahogany really nice..go drive down you wont be dissaapointed..unless they sold them already..lol

i just went to gryphon website 5 pm pacific time and i see the koa compass rose there..style B gloss finish upgrade..
but no picture of the mahogany..if you are looking for mahogany..hard to beat this...

gyosh
07-06-2012, 02:34 PM
i have a style C body with premium flamed koa(if it looks the one at gryphon i will be very happy..).. ricks three color rope purfling..with tourtise binding..and to be little different pedhed style tuners/rick turned me on to these trying to get a little retro look..and a radius on the fretboard...i got to order directly from rick..and it was nice getting to know him a little..i think it is great that he loves to play the uke like the rest of us.. i live in san mateo so i hope i can pick it up from rick in santa cruz..mine should be done soon..
also i have been in contact with kelliyama since i started with this build..(i think he is ricks and jakes best/biggest
fan..)

Are you going to the Wine Country Ukulele Festival? I think I might be able to pick mine up there if the build stays on schedule, Rick is doing a demo build during the festival. I also just sent a check out for the inlay work getting done on my fretboard (I'm having my family crest 'mon' inlayed in the fretboard - hopefully my five year old will play some day and I can pass it down to him).

@kelliyama - will you have your uke at the Roy Sakuma festival? I'll be at the festival in a couple weeks.

gyosh
07-06-2012, 02:38 PM

Here you go Mark:

Koa (http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/39076/39076.php)

mahogany (http://www.gryphonstrings.com/instpix/39075/39075.php)

hawaii 50
07-06-2012, 02:40 PM
Are you going to the Wine Country Ukulele Festival? I think I might be able to pick mine up there if the build stays on schedule, Rick is doing a demo build during the festival. I also just sent a check out for the inlay work getting done on my fretboard (I'm having my family crest 'mon' inlayed in the fretboard - hopefully my five year old will play some day and I can pass it down to him).

@kelliyama - will you have your uke at the Roy Sakuma festival? I'll be at the festival in a couple weeks.

aloha ..you really into ukes just like all the rest of us..going to be in hawaii on vacation during wine country festival..i got a kamaka tenor special to pick up ,,going to leave it in hawaii..i retire the end of 2012..and going back home..have you heard of vento ukuleles in hilo..getting one of those too..

hawaii 50
07-06-2012, 02:43 PM
Here you go Mark:

those picture dont do any justice to seeing the uke in person

gyosh
07-06-2012, 02:50 PM
aloha ..you really into ukes just like all the rest of us..going to be in hawaii on vacation during wine country festival..i got a kamaka tenor special to pick up ,,going to leave it in hawaii..i retire the end of 2012..and going back home..have you heard of vento ukuleles in hilo..getting one of those too..

Never heard of them, but I'll look them up. Are they on the 808 builder's thread?

Congratulations on the retirement!!!!

mds725
07-06-2012, 05:51 PM
Here you go Mark:

Thanks, Gary! I have no idea why I was unable to find these pages myself.

hawaii 50
07-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Never heard of them, but I'll look them up. Are they on the 808 builder's thread?

Congratulations on the retirement!!!!

website is www.ventomusichawaii.com
federico was the finish tech for james goodall guitars before he moved to calif..he has been building for 10/12 years but full time for about 4/5 years..sound and finish very very nice...prices even nicer..i got a koa body A on order now..his build list about 7/8 months..

dkcrown
07-08-2012, 04:23 AM
Beautiful ukes. I have a question, so I might as well go right to the source. Jake, or anyone else who might be able to answer them. What type of wood was used for the neck on the Mahogany style C? Do these necks have truss rods in them? I also see that these are now 14 frets to the body, instead of the older 12 frets. Are all of Rick's tenors now made this way?

Thanks in advance.

maclay
07-08-2012, 08:02 AM
Beautiful ukes. I have a question, so I might as well go right to the source. Jake, or anyone else who might be able to answer them. What type of wood was used for the neck on the Mahogany style C? Do these necks have truss rods in them? I also see that these are now 14 frets to the body, instead of the older 12 frets. Are all of Rick's tenors now made this way?

Thanks in advance.

I have answers.....lol.
The Mahogany C has a flame maple neck at the request of Gryphon, but the necks are usually mahogany, and they have no truss rod. The 14 fret neck is a new option that Compass Rose offers on their tenor ukes. This was actually the first 14 fret tenor ever made at the shop. The original neck is 12 frets to the body. Excellent questions dkcrown!

Rick Turner
07-08-2012, 08:03 AM
That Style C is the first of our 14 fret tenors on the standard CR body, and it has a figured maple neck. Yes, it's got the carbon fiber reinforcement primarily to support the cantilevered fingerboard. We're also making a 14 fret tenor on a "micro-jumbo" body...a bit larger than our "nano-jumbo", so the line has expanded considerably in the last few months. We also offer radiused fingerboards as an option, and we're doing one of the little jumbos with a cutaway right now...it's like a little jazz guitar and is cute as can be with block inlays in the fingerboard.

dkcrown
07-08-2012, 08:17 AM
Thanks Jake, and Rick. That cutaway sounds pretty cool. What are the woods being used on it?

hawaii 50
07-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Thanks Jake, and Rick. That cutaway sounds pretty cool. What are the woods being used on it?

aloha brah..
i am sure if you want a certain type of wood you can order directly from rick..he has many great suppliers and you will not be dissapointed

gyosh
07-08-2012, 10:37 AM
That Style C is the first of our 14 fret tenors on the standard CR body, and it has a figured maple neck. Yes, it's got the carbon fiber reinforcement primarily to support the cantilevered fingerboard. We're also making a 14 fret tenor on a "micro-jumbo" body...a bit larger than our "nano-jumbo", so the line has expanded considerably in the last few months. We also offer radiused fingerboards as an option, and we're doing one of the little jumbos with a cutaway right now...it's like a little jazz guitar and is cute as can be with block inlays in the fingerboard.

What? Micro-jumbo?! Radiused fretboard? What??? :)

hawaii 50
07-08-2012, 10:40 AM
What? Micro-jumbo?! Radiused fretboard? What??? :)

yeh gary these must be new to ricks line of compass rose..the guy is alway trying new stuff..i did ask for a radius on my fingerboard..
hey i sent you a pm just now..

Rick Turner
07-08-2012, 12:25 PM
The cutaway has an all cherry body...and it's got a light sunburst.

And we're a moving target. Just when you think you know what we do, we add something new. We now have three body styles/sizes, 12 or 14 fret neck tenors in two of those body styles, and 14 fret concerts. We'll do cutaways...for a price...and we'll do radiused fingerboards as well. We're really a custom shop building everything to order, and yes, our wood selection is pretty wide and interesting.

Next year we'll be building a whole lot of ukes out of black acacia, too. I have literally a ton of it here.

mds725
07-08-2012, 05:19 PM
Next year we'll be building a whole lot of ukes out of black acacia, too. I have literally a ton of it here.

Rick, I should probably get on your build list right now. Having my own Rick Turner designed, me assembled pineapple tenor has only whet my appetite for a Compass Rose. Add black acacia to the mix and resistance may be futile!

gyosh
07-08-2012, 06:19 PM

And we're a moving target. Just when you think you know what we do, we add something new. We now have three body styles/sizes, 12 or 14 fret neck tenors in two of those body styles, and 14 fret concerts. We'll do cutaways...for a price...and we'll do radiused fingerboards as well. We're really a custom shop building everything to order, and yes, our wood selection is pretty wide and interesting.

La la la la la la la la la la . . . this is me with my fingers in my ears (over my eyes?).

I already ordered and I like what Rick came up with . . . . although Rick, if you're reading this, feel free to change it up as you see fit.

hawaii 50
08-14-2012, 10:15 AM
just went down to gryphon in palo alto to check out Rick's new Compass Rose Mini Jumbo/redwood-walnut tenor with the wood from the fence at Stanford University..i should of checked their website first..someone already picked it up// at least i did not have to drive too far Lol..(was that less than a week?) and the koa tenor gone too..

gyosh
08-14-2012, 12:01 PM

Wonder if this was my original top :)

Rick Turner
08-14-2012, 04:16 PM
We're building four more "Stanford Fence" topped ukes for Gryphon plus at least a couple with the Sequoiadendron giganteum...giant Sequoia...some of the most beautiful top wood I've ever had. The tree was 292 feet tall and 30 in diameter at the base when it went down after being alive on this earth for 2,700 years... There's even a book about the story of this tree going down (on its own) and being carefully harvested.

Pippin
08-14-2012, 04:25 PM
We're building four more "Stanford Fence" topped ukes for Gryphon plus at least a couple with the Sequoiadendron giganteum...giant Sequoia...some of the most beautiful top wood I've ever had. The tree was 292 feet tall and 30 in diameter at the base when it went down after being alive on this earth for 2,700 years... There's even a book about the story of this tree going down (on its own) and being carefully harvested.

Ah, one of these days... one of these days.

mm stan
08-15-2012, 03:43 AM
wonder how many ukes that would make...hee hee wish I had some moolah, I want one.....maybe I will wait, Rick sounds really busy now...

Rick Turner
08-15-2012, 03:33 PM
I just learned that the Stanford fence redwood/walnut mini jumbo went to the head of the music department at...Stanford! His wife bought it for him as a gift. Perfect!

Newportlocal
09-15-2012, 10:11 PM
I just learned that the Stanford fence redwood/walnut mini jumbo went to the head of the music department at...Stanford! His wife bought it for him as a gift. Perfect!

I was just listening to the sound sample at Gryphon really sounded good. I am assuming that is larger than your standard tenor size. Is that a tenor neck on a mini jumbo body as opposed to a tenor body, and were you planning on making more? I have been looking for a tenor with more bass that didn't lose intonation on the notes. The notes sounded clear.
As a side note love this Stanford story and your Bob Hope poolside bar wood story. Recently the sequoia. Great stuff

maclay
09-16-2012, 06:32 AM
I was just listening to the sound sample at Gryphon really sounded good. I am assuming that is larger than your standard tenor size. Is that a tenor neck on a mini jumbo body as opposed to a tenor body, and were you planning on making more? I have been looking for a tenor with more bass that didn't lose intonation on the notes. The notes sounded clear.
As a side note love this Stanford story and your Bob Hope poolside bar wood story. Recently the sequoia. Great stuff

The Mini Jumbo is actually smaller than the original tenor (the width and depth is about the same, but the length of the body is shorter.)
I also believe the original tenor has a little "more bass" than the Mini Jumbo due to the larger size. Both have more bass than most tenors, and have great intonation up the neck.

Newportlocal
09-16-2012, 07:36 AM
The Mini Jumbo is actually smaller than the original tenor (the width and depth is about the same, but the length of the body is shorter.)
I also believe the original tenor has a little "more bass" than the Mini Jumbo due to the larger size. Both have more bass than most tenors, and have great intonation up the neck.

Thank you so much! I am certainly getting one with my Christmas bonus. Now just to debate custom vs seeing what is available at NAMM convention time.

hawaii 50
09-16-2012, 09:28 AM
Thank you so much! I am certainly getting one with my Christmas bonus. Now just to debate custom vs seeing what is available at NAMM convention time.

you should put your order in ASAP..Rick and Jake seem very busy these days! if you make up your mind i would order directly from Rick..

Newportlocal
09-19-2012, 09:55 AM
you should put your order in ASAP..Rick and Jake seem very busy these days! if you make up your mind i would order directly from Rick..
Done. Body and sides cocobolo, redwood top.:D yippee!

gyosh
09-19-2012, 10:00 AM

Len, your CR is on Rick's Facebook page!

hammer40
09-19-2012, 12:32 PM

I saw that uke and really wanted to buy it, but I foolishly waited a day while I talked myself into spending the money. When I got online to give them a call to make the purchase, it was gone. I learned my lesson, so I was checking Gryphon just about everyday to see what would pop up. I was going to place an order with Rick eventually but figured I would keep an eye out incase something interesting popped up while I saved a bit more and decided on what I wanted.

Well, something did, an all Claro Walnut "B" with an amazing grain pattern, front and back body binding and a gloss finish. I didn't waste anytime and made the purchase, it was online for only 1 day when I saw it. Will be here in a few days, I can't wait!

Newportlocal
09-19-2012, 12:41 PM
I saw that uke and really wanted to buy it, but I foolishly waited a day while I talked myself into spending the money. When I got online to give them a call to make the purchase, it was gone. I learned my lesson, so I was checking Gryphon just about everyday to see what would pop up. I was going to place an order with Rick eventually but figured I would keep an eye out incase something interesting popped up while I saved a bit more and decided on what I wanted.

Well, something did, an all Claro Walnut "B" with an amazing grain pattern, front and back body binding and a gloss finish. I didn't waste anytime and made the purchase, it was online for only 1 day when I saw it. Will be here in a few days, I can't wait!

Congratulations that is awesome!!
Should sound a lot like this. She has a few posts of a walnut Compass Rose.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhTzIS6hv8c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BTW Len your uke looks beautiful on Facebook.

hawaii 50
09-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Done. Body and sides cocobolo, redwood top.:D yippee!

Wow i am glad you put your order in now! hope you get it soon..i just saw the pictures of my uke on Facebook..thanks for the headsup i am low low tech so i would not of even of looked on facebook page..Thanks to you too! Gary(gyosh) now we just got to wait for yours..what would i do without you guys Lol>>my next day off tuesday so i am going down to Santa Cruz then to pick it up..

Hey Rich i hope you told Rick Turner you know me haha...

Newportlocal
09-19-2012, 01:57 PM
Hey Rich i hope you told Rick Turner you know me haha...
I did he said he would have to up charge me:D
Seriously though, big congratulations to you. Glad you can pick it up in person soon!

Btw very glad I talked with Rick on the phone today. He is a great guy and I feel very fortunate and grateful.

hawaii 50
09-19-2012, 02:16 PM
I did he said he would have to up charge me:D
Seriously though, big congratulations to you. Glad you can pick it up in person soon!

Btw very glad I talked with Rick on the phone today. He is a great guy and I feel very fortunate and grateful.

I know exactly what you mean. it is hard to believe we can work with/and talk with guys like him..he knows so much stuff and he has soo much experience it is crazy.. real nice guy too!

i am glad you made your order..show me pictures when done..is yours 12 or 14 frets to the body and what body style did you order?

kvehe
09-19-2012, 02:21 PM
I saw that uke and really wanted to buy it, but I foolishly waited a day while I talked myself into spending the money. When I got online to give them a call to make the purchase, it was gone. I learned my lesson, so I was checking Gryphon just about everyday to see what would pop up. I was going to place an order with Rick eventually but figured I would keep an eye out incase something interesting popped up while I saved a bit more and decided

That is super news! I am so excited for you!

Newportlocal
09-19-2012, 02:27 PM
I know exactly what you mean. it is hard to believe we can work with/and talk with guys like him..he knows so much stuff and he has soo much experience it is crazy.. real nice guy too!

i am glad you made your order..show me pictures when done..is yours 12 or 14 frets to the body and what body style did you order?

Yep, I felt privileged.
14 fret,standard tenor body style. If you meant A,B,C style. I ordered Style B with a few extras refined heel,gloss finish, ebony strap buttons back and heel,"ebony" binding for stability/protection.

hawaii 50
09-19-2012, 02:46 PM
Yep, I felt privileged.
14 fret,standard tenor body style. If you meant A,B,C style. I ordered Style B with a few extras refined heel,gloss finish, ebony strap buttons back and heel,"ebony" binding for stability/protection.

looks good! mine is Style C with tourtise binding and rope purfling on the body and headplate
i sent you a PM

hammer40
09-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Congratulations that is awesome!!
Should sound a lot like this. She has a few posts of a walnut Compass Rose.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhTzIS6hv8c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

BTW Len your uke looks beautiful on Facebook.

Thanks for the link. They didn't have a sound sample of it at gryphon since it was only up for such a short time, so its good to get an idea of how it will sound.

hammer40
09-19-2012, 03:34 PM
That is super news! I am so excited for you!

Thanks Kathryn, I'm excited as well, can't wait to get it.

hawaii 50
09-19-2012, 04:15 PM
Thanks Rick Turner..

if anybody wants to see my Koa Compass Rose Style C..

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=505928542752355&set=a.505927746085768.120458.116927168319163&type=1&theater