Because it's the law...

OldePhart

Reaction score
I think there is a law somewhere that everybody who posts videos of themselves playing ukulele has to cover this song. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4_FEJK0Tko&feature=youtu.be

Actually, a friend and I are working up a medley to do as a duet and I just set up the camera while I was fooling around practicing this old standard. He's been playing this for about 45 years so I'm sure it will be much better when we do it together.

The uke is my new Mainland mahogany soprano strung with heavy fluorocarbon strings (Seaguar brand fishing leaders in the same gages as a Worth CH set). I noticed in the post processing that there are a couple of places with a pretty bad buzz on some plucked notes - that's totally the fault of my lousy fingering - I am still getting used to the cramped scale of a soprano ukulele after playing exclusively concert and tenor scales. The uke doesn't have any buzzes when I succeed in putting my fingers in the right places. :)

John

Hi John,

Your new little sweetheart seems to like those strings. Nice choice. They seem to ring clear.

lovely job John, that ukulele has a sweet tone mate

That was one of the first tunes I learned, and I agree with you, it should be the law. Nice easy chords and not too difficult to make it sound reasonable. Are you putting yourself forward for the sheriffs job :)

With a bass/baritone voice like that :bowdown: have you ever worked up Tennessee Ernie Ford's Sixteen Tons? If not, you should! That Mainland sings sweetly in your hands.

I assumed it was a law unto banjo players, but I suppose it now applies to ukes, too.

Hey all, thanks for the warm comments. Somehow I missed that y'all had replied. Must have scrolled off while I was crazy busy - I wasn't being stuck up, I swear. :) I went looking for another video and as I scrolled past this I thought - I don't remember that many comments...

@Raygf - I'll have to give Sixteen Tons some thought - haven't heard it since I was a kid but I loved it then.

When I get to the point of having played it for 45 years I'll play it with you too! (Let's see, 65 + 45, 5 and 5 is 10 carry the 1, then 1 +6 is 7, then 7 +4 is 11. 11 + 0 is 11.) So, I'll see you in 2023. Right?

Top Bottom