Please help... Big noob when it comes to microphones

Imonmusic

Reaction score
When I get a new uke I want to post some quality vids of myself playing it, but I want to make sure I have a good mic. But the thing is, I have no idea how it works. Do you connect the mic to the camera? I might get an electric uke so I need some explaining on how mics and cameras work. I have never worked with any proffessional mics, cameras, pedals, etc. please help.

My kid is begging for a "BLUE" Yeti, I think that is what it is...He says that they are the best for the money. I got one from Best Buy a while back, but he doesn't like it. He says it sound hollow and "echoes" so I am researching the Yeti. I may have to get it. It has the two way mike that you can turn of on one side and from what I read, its one of the highest rated USB microphones out there.

When I get a new uke I want to post some quality vids of myself playing it, but I want to make sure I have a good mic. But the thing is, I have no idea how it works. Do you connect the mic to the camera? I might get an electric uke so I need some explaining on how mics and cameras work. I have never worked with any proffessional mics, cameras, pedals, etc. please help.

Welcome to UU! There are plenty of options for making videos. I've used everything from the video function of a Canon Powershot (okay) to a Flip Video camera (better), to my laptop. Sometimes I connect Zoom H2 via usb to the laptop (surprisingly good). I bought a Canon Vixia HF200 (amazing video and very good sound quality) because it had an external mic jack, but I have never gotten around to using that. I just bought a Toshiba Camileo B10 1080p on Woot for $49.99 and it does a fine job. A Zoom Q3HD goes for $299. Good luck with your search. You'll learn a lot about it here.

We use a Mac with the built in camera and software. For a microphone we got the less expensive (than the Yeti model) Blue Snowball. It was under $100 at Amazon and the sound quality is quite good.

I see Blue microphones is coming out with a new, small usb mic http://www.bluemic.com/tiki/ and I also looked at their Snowball - for 70 bucks, it might be the way I go - I can't justify a lot of money on a mic - I'm just wanting to accurately keep track of how I'm playing on both the uke and mando and my laptop mic is a bit lacking.

Top Bottom