Song Help Request Teddy Bear's Picnic- help with a chord- Fmaj7

LonnaB

Reaction score
Hey folks

I'm learning Teddy Bear's Picnic. The bits I can easily play sound nice on the uke.

I've run into a chord I haven't used before- the Fmaj7. (sorry- wrong chord in the thread title, my bad)

I'm seeing it as g2, C4, E1, A3. I feel like I need two left hands to get that done!

Is there an easier way to play this particular chord, or do I need to get my fingers a stretchin'?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Why yes, Deach, it seems he has.

Nice version, Howlin' Hobbit.

I am familiar with the Garcia/Grisman version, which is a little slower.

I will look at the link in the notes of the video and check out the chords HH is using.

Thanks Deach.

Hey there Seeso.

I thought you might have a solution for me- thanks a million.

Didn't Howlin Hobbit do this? . . .

. . . He uses a different tuning.

The reason I use a different tuning is because I learned it in GCEA and it was fine, as long as I was somewhere quiet or I was miked. As soon as I tried performing it outside (while busking) I found it was too low for me to sing out loudly.

I didn't want to learn new fingerings, so I "cheated" by playing it on a D tuned uke.

The reason I use a different tuning is because I learned it in GCEA and it was fine, as long as I was somewhere quiet or I was miked. As soon as I tried performing it outside (while busking) I found it was too low for me to sing out loudly.

I didn't want to learn new fingerings, so I "cheated" by playing it on a D tuned uke.

Right on. I had a look at your chords and noticed that the fingering was all the same.

Ask a question, learn some stuff. Thanks Howlin Hobbit.

The easiest FMaj7 is 5500. It has the same notes as the finger busting 2413 but is much easier to play. Whether you use that or Sesso's version depends on the voicings you are using for the chords either side. Try both and use the one that sounds best to you.

You can probably just play an ordinary F too. The Maj7 is just a bit of "spice".

Top Bottom