"Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea"

H

Hippie Dribble

1932. music Harold Arlen; lyrics Ted Koehler.

originally recorded by Cab Calloway in 1931, the song has gone on to become a popular standard, having also been recorded by the likes of Ella Fitzgerald, Thelonious Monk, Frank Sinatra and more recently - and famously - by George Harrison.

with its witty and wonderful lyric and catchy melody, it sits comfortably alongside some of the greatest and most loved tunes by ukulele players and jazz aficianados alike.

This is my entry for the '20th season of uke: Heaven and Hell' (Thanks Ukelites!!!) and I'm playing my brand new Covered Bridge concert ukulele. I've only had it 10 minutes but couldn't resist taking it for a test drive on this tune, inspired by Fernando and Luana's take on it the other day. It has a gorgeous warm and sweet voice and is stunning aesthetically. Perhaps the best sounding uke I've ever played straight out of the box. It already sounds better than my Collings...it's scary to think how good it'll get once it begins to open up. Just an amazing, wonderful uke. Thankyou so much Terry and Perry, I'll treasure this, you guys are grand. :eek:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sULPf_HGybQ

Cheers for watching everyone. Blessings! :)

Jon, yet another fine song. How about you doing minny the moocher? I would love to hear your version, Just subbed you on YouTube, I thought I had a long time ago! by the way, nice Uke.

Jon, yet another fine song. How about you doing minny the moocher? I would love to hear your version, Just subbed you on YouTube, I thought I had a long time ago! by the way, nice Uke.

thanks Eroll! Yeah mate, 'Minnie The Moocher' is on the short-list for sure! Got a few others to knock off and then I'll have a bash at that one I reckon. Awesome song eh...have you seen/heard Bob Brozman's version on the National???? Unbelievable...here's a link brother:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BU4HXtJDqo

Eugene, what a great rendition, of one of my favorite songs...

I even posted a link to it on my Facebook page...

You make it look so darn easy! It inspires me to persevere!

Thanks for sharing

Ivan

Eugene, what a great rendition, of one of my favorite songs...

I even posted a link to it on my Facebook page...

You make it look so darn easy! It inspires me to persevere!

Thanks for sharing

Ivan
Ivan, thankyou so much mate for this lovely comment
:cheers:

Very nice! Great sounding uke too.
I love this tune. I often listen to Joe Williams' version (http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/in-good-company/id161276696)

Very nice job on a cool new uke. The jazz-club togs are good for this performance.
thanks you guys. Amazingly, I think this instrument even sounds better than the incredible Collings uke that my parents gifted to me. Not sure how much it was, but my research tells me this Covered Bridge uke would be well under 1/3 of that price even on a conservative estimate. To me, that's a no-brainer of a deal. This is a superb uke at barely 500 bucks. Couldn't recommend these builders more highly. It has quenched my appetite for uke buying in the best possible way.

You are a delight for us all. Each video you post is more joyful than the last. Thank YOU.

Ah, yet another slice of brilliance to make our heads go boppity-bop and our fingers snap with glee. But about your ukulele - i have one too! A Covered Bridge, that is. It's my bestest uke, a concert pineapple, purchased right here, second hand, from these very boards. My mother recently visited and she's so enamored with its sound, she was wishing it had a twin!

Anyway, thank you for sharing another wonderful video ...

Cheers!

Ah, yet another slice of brilliance to make our heads go boppity-bop and our fingers snap with glee. But about your ukulele - i have one too! A Covered Bridge, that is. It's my bestest uke, a concert pineapple, purchased right here, second hand, from these very boards. My mother recently visited and she's so enamored with its sound, she was wishing it had a twin!

Anyway, thank you for sharing another wonderful video ...

Cheers!
thanks estreya. I totally agree about these Covered Bridge ukuleles. This one has a gorgeous tone. I put it down to Terry and Perry's building skills and their awesome advice on the wood combo. Personally I love walnut as a tonewood, and topping it with western red cedar was a wonderful choice. I know Terry has the big brother of this one...a tenor, same wood combo. I figured if a luthier chooses that for himself, then I couldn't go too far wrong. Thanks again estreya for your kind words about the song. :)

beautiful new uke Jon and a cracker of a tune - of all the uke-toob covers of this one, yours has got to be the best, hands down.....
Another beauty Jon, sweet work mate.

thanks heaps you guys. Cam, your words of encouragement keep on blessing me mate. And Bill, that's really a generous thing to say brother, cheers. :)

From one Jon to another...absolutely fantastic. Great way to start the day.

This is awesome!!

If it wasn't for someone commenting on the 20th season that they loved your song, I would still be waiting for your entry!!

Top Bottom