Is it possible to swich friction tuners to geared?

Yes, it can be done relatively easily. You'll have to enlarge the holes to allow for installation of the press fit bushings that will be supplied with the geared tuners. I've used a wood reamer to accomplish this but you could enlarge the holes by drilling if you have a drill press. These geared tuners are the ones I've used and they work real well:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Ukulele_tuners/Grover_Ukulele_Tuning_Machines.html

Hope this helps...!!!

Yes, it can be done relatively easily. You'll have to enlarge the holes to allow for installation of the press fit bushings that will be supplied with the geared tuners. I've used a wood reamer to accomplish this but you could enlarge the holes by drilling if you have a drill press. These geared tuners are the ones I've used and they work real well:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Ukulele_tuners/Grover_Ukulele_Tuning_Machines.html

Hope this helps...!!!

Yes thanks for the help

Do you know if there's a way to do it without drilling it?

Yes thanks for the help

Do you know if there's a way to do it without drilling it?

Um. Have a luthier do it for you?

You can also find out what size holes the tuners use, and get geared tuners that match the size. I have no idea what geared tuners measure since I am a friction freak. But I would think screwing in the little screws that hold the geared tuners in place would be the thing that requires a drill, especially since if you use the wrong screws, or too much tension, you can split the headstock.

If you really hate the friction tuners, you can also look into Pegheads, but then you'll definitely have to have someone install them for you. Also, take note that geared tuners are going to throw the uke off balance. Something you might not notice until after they're installed.

I actually replaced the geared tuners on a Kala pineapple with friction tuners.

Whatever you choose, best of luck, and keep us updated!

Sure it's possible but you are going to mess up the balance of that nice uke with geared tuners. Your solution is Peghed geared tuners. They look like old friction pegs but in fact are excellent modern 4 to 1 planetary geared tuners. The ratio is perfect on a uke, they are very light work wonderfully. They are the tuners of choice on my tenors and concerts and will look great on your soprano.

Why not have the look of pegs and the advantages of geared tuners?

You can have both. As the post above says, they are called PEGHEDS. If you want to read Tim Szerlong's evaluation of them,
www.ukeeku.com w ill tell you what he thinks.

There is no geared tuner that will only weigh 27 grams --1.15 ounces for all four of them. The Gotoh mini tuners I took off of my soprano weighed 135grams-- 4.5 ounces.

There is a possibility if you have a hard case, that ears on the gears will cause it to not fit in your case. It is not difficult to install them if you have a 30:1 violin peg reamer.

I like the 743AF for several different reasons. You can see them at my website www.pegheds.net I had to bore big holes for the geared tuners, so when I decided to go with PEGHEDS, it was plug the holes and then redrill down the middle of the plug. What a pain!!

I have a Martin S-1 that has friction and I'm wondering if it's possible to swich to geared and if so can I do it myself or what and what kind/brand

Thanks

Since friction tuners are excellent, especially desirable on a Martin, the real question is should you change them. If you plan to keep it forever and play the heck out of it, switch and enjoy. If you ever plan to resell it, do it now to an owner that will appreciate the friction tuners, and buy yourself a nice uke with factory installed geared tuners, to your liking. Just a thought.

Why would you want to switch ? Friction tuners work fine once you get used to them .

get a uke with friction tuners and leave the Martin alone

I agree with another poster on this thread.
If the uke is a keeper then go ahead and change the tuners
if it is what you want. But, should you want to sell it in the
future perhaps you should leave well alone.
All that said, I bought my Martin Baritone with Grover geared tuners fitted.
I got the uke to play and not as a collection piece and I have no plans to sell it.
I am a very happy bunny ;)
Cheers
Gary

Unfortunately, severe arthritis in my fingers (left hand especially) made it necessary for me to put geared tuners onto my 60s Kamaka & after putting aquila strings on as well, I am playing it more than ever now, whereas I rarely played it before as it was just so difficult to tune it accurately - as the tiny adjustments required just wouldn't happen - I'd end up being almost 1 note 'out', either way! Then I'd put it down & go to my other ukes. The friction tuners were always VERY stiff - as are the ones on my Graham Bird uke ...... so I may be going down the same road with it sometime soon - tho at least it stays accurately tuned for longer than the Kamaka did, prior to the geared tuners!!

I also find that the friction tuners get in the way with the way I play some chords, so prefer geared tuners for a variety of reasons! Tho I'd be interested to try a uke with the peghed tuners on it!!

If the standard geared tuners make a uke 'more playable' (rather than a wall decoration,) it is all good!

Roberta

Top Bottom