More Ponos: PT6 Tenor 6-String Ukulele

Thanks for the heads-up! This looked like a good opportunity to try out a six-string, so I jumped on one. They're $50 more apiece than the last batch of these that this seller offered on eBay, but seem to still be a great deal.

I was taken aback when I received mine the other day. They use whatever Ko'olau strings they have at hand and I got Hamanos with low g, not the strings to make this baby "chime." Also, the satin finish is pretty "flat", but looks like my Kit auto scratch and haze remover is going to give it an awesome, deep sheen. I love the ebony headstock overlay, bridge, and binding. Trying to decide if I want to invest in the grover tuners with black buttons instead of chrome. Hope to do a before and after re: string change and polishing job.

Last edited:
I was taken aback when I received mine the other day. They use whatever Ko'olau strings they have at hand and I got Hamanos with low g, not the strings to make this baby "chime." Also, the satin finish is pretty "flat", but looks like my Kit auto scratch and haze remover is going to give it an awesome, deep sheen. I love the ebony headstock overlay, bridge, and binding. Trying to decide if I want to invest in the grover tuners with black buttons instead of chrome. Hope to do a before and after re: string change and polishing job.

But...other than that, how's it sound? What were the issues with it?

But...other than that, how's it sound? What were the issues with it?

Other than that....no issues. Looks like a brand new, "off the shelf" uke. Great resonance, setup, beautiful grain, etc. Gonna "sing" with the right strings. My son has some Southcoasts on his Sailor Brand 6 string tenor and it sounds amazing....hope to duplicate that sound. His has a mahogany top, this one all mahogany.

Came with a minimal Pono gig bag, I think Im going to get a decent case, but not sure I want to invest in a Ko'olau case.

Last edited:
Make sure that polish kit doesn't have any silicone in it.

I got one of the 6 string with low G and kinda thought it would sound a lot brighter, is it the strings? I do not like a low G, maybe that is it

Low G does sound very different if you are not used to it. You can swap it out to re-entrant. I bought one of these too, I have been looking for a solid wood six string. I have a nato Lanikai that is strung re-entrant and with the two courses doubled instead of an octave apart and it is really very nice sounding and very sparkly. I was going to sell it when the Pono arrives, but will likely keep it for the different tuning... (any excuse right? :D)

I got one of the 6 string with low G and kinda thought it would sound a lot brighter, is it the strings? I do not like a low G, maybe that is it

Yeah, seems like they also had some Ko'olau Mahalo low g's to get rid of too (their mellowest string) It will sound Amazing with the right strings. Talk to Southcoast. There are several configurations for tuning a 6 string uke to increase the likelihood you will get the sound you want, like ' Hi g on the 6th string, something they call "8 string tuning". I think I'll not try Aquilas straight off and try some Southcoasts. Lots of great strings like Fremont blacks, Guadalupes, and when available for a 6 string, Ken's new Living Waters strings. Good luck.

Top Bottom