Stagg ukes

Ben Mulleman

Reaction score
Greetings and salutations!

Does anyone have any experience with these?
I'm tempted to buy a US80-SE, I've played it in the store but the GHS strings are terrible. They're selling it for around 100€ which seems to be a bit below normal price.

I cannot seem to find any solid information on the model though. Some sites say it's a solid top, others say it's all solid mahogany.

Thoughts?

not a fan of the Stagg ukes myself Ben. The ads for that model do say it's solid mahogany but at that price point...hmmm. Anyway, I owned one and hated it...part of the problem was the dodgy stock strings. Noticed a slight improvement in sound once I changed them out, but still, it felt to me like an overbuilt and very average instrument with a strangled voice which lacked depth or any real projection. I'd stick with your Bruko mate, or else save a bit more cash for something better. Just my 2cents. :)

I find them overbuilt and thin sounding. Sorry. If you are playing a Brüko I think you'd be disappointed

I tried a bunch of Stagg ukes in a shop one day. Virtually all of them had intonation problems, and none of them had good tone.

I guess I must have had a lucky one because my Stagg US-70 (solid mahogany top) is very full sounding for a soprano. I changed the strings right out and it projects as much as my tenor ukulele now.

I have Stagg u60 with Worth Clear strings. It's a P.O.S.

I had a solid mahogany, electro-acoustic Stagg concert which had a misplaced bridge and intonation issues. Aside from that the volume and tone were not at all bad.

I play my wife's solid mahogany Stagg soprano. No issues and it sounds fine. Not at all overbuilt.

That said, Stagg obviously have QC problems. I've played others that have been less than good. I would certainly never consider another without playing it first.

Top Bottom