New Car Day !

webby

Reaction score
"What's this ?" I hear you say, "why a car story in a uke forum ?"

Because I have just had 24 hours of musical ukulele alchemy that weaved a magic thread through the events that unfolded and we ended up with.....

Intrigued ?

If a few people are interested I will tell the tale..........

c'mon webby are you kidding...you doity tease :drool: I'll just go make some popcorn mate...

Just got home from what was going to be an easy 6 hour return drive to pick up my daughter from the airport at surfers paradise, decided to make a nice day of it and take the camper van, took the 2 dolphins along because, well you never know.... :)

We get half way across the top of the mountains, we took the scenic route across the range through the rain forests instead of opting to head up the coastal highway, It was lovely, stopped in a little town and got some lunch, went and played a few ukes in a tiny music shop, had plenty of time to just lope along in the old bus enjoying the music and the scenery. it was all going fine until..........

Jeez I need a coffee, will continue this tale in an little while, because it's about to get exciting :)

back soon..

Meh...I'll wait for the TV Movie.

Damn, it's like reading something in a magazine and someone tears out the last page. Not very nice.

"Make love to me!" cried Nancy. "Make love to me like they do in the movies!"

The only movie Peter had ever seen was Deliverance.

Later that night, in the hospital...

The next instalment in our thrilling 385 part story in the December issue of The Watchtower.

"Make love to me!" cried Nancy. "Make love to me like they do in the movies!"

The only movie Peter had ever seen was Deliverance.

Later that night, in the hospital...

The next instalment in our thrilling 385 part story in the December issue of The Watchtower.

ha ha LOL...you a funny funny man BigK...NOW...to clean the coffee off the computer :biglaugh::rofl:

Sorry, got distracted with food....

Ok so the camper van goes BANG !

Hmmm, that didn't sound good, kinda starting to smell burning oil, look down and the temp gauge is off the scale, look in the rear view mirror and we are leaving a trail of smoke like a saturn 5 rocket taking off, ohhhhhh nooooooooooo.

Blown the motor, big time, now we are in the mountains, miles from anywhere, daughter due at the airport expecting us, it's her first trip alone and she will have no idea where we are, got no phone signal, things are looking grim.

I stuck the bus in second gear, asked my wife to roll me a cigarette fixed a determined look on my face and pressed onwards, I swear i willed that thing to get to the bottom of those mountains without seizing up, the white smoke was so intense as we crawled into this little village it was freaky.

So we broke down basically as we pulled into these peoples driveway to get off the road, the bus made this awful squaking noise, shuddered and stopped, that was it, dead.

First thing I see is a bloke about 50 walking towards me playing a ukulele, I'm not kidding.

He has a huge shed next to the house, it is filled with ukuleles, all sorts, old ones, new ones, custom ones, hand made ones, half built prototypes, body and neck blanks scattered to the 4 winds, painted ukes, heart shaped ukes, CRAZY original design whacky amazing ukes.

I reach behind me for the blue dolphin and smile.

This guy and his wife totally took over the situation, one phone call and a friend with a nice new car is coming to pick us up and get us to the airport and bring us back to the dead bus and the uke man and his uke universe.

"Now that's all sorted" he said, "lets have a cup of tea and play all of these ukes !".

Just magic, perfect, all the tension worry and stress dissolved in 3 minutes flat amid a sea of ukuleles, smiles and friendship, true community, why It's fantastic to be a human, why the world is not such a bad place after all.

We collected our daughter and went back to their place and played and laughed and sang and cried and played some more until the wee small hours, crashed out in the old camper van for the last time still holding the blue dolphin, grinning like a cheshire cat.

It gets better, in the morning I decided to walk into the village and try and find a bakery or something and shout everyone breakfast and there sitting by the roadside 300 yards from where the bus died is a little Ford bubble car, FOR SALE, 2002 model, great little thing, it has 2500 ono in the sign and I got it for 1500 bucks cash on the spot and a handshake, had the transport problem sorted before 8am, before anyone else woke up !

"fantastic stuff, good effort" says our host, reaching for a uke, "lets sit here in the sun and play a little bit more before you head off, there's hot buns and coffee coming right up.

3 hours later we hug, declare our lifelong friendship and pull out of the driveway in our new car, the bus can stay there for as long as it takes me to work out what i'm gonna do with it, it's all cool, the wife loves the little bubble car, my daughter is sitting in the back playing the green dolphin and the last thing i saw as we left was this guy waving a ukulele in the air to say goodbye.

There, wasn't it worth waiting for that story :)

Last edited:
brilliant story webby...and yeah mate, it was worth waiting for actually
:cheers:

thinkin more about it and re-reading the epic melodrama of it all, I'm convinced you need to go into scriptwriting mate. I reckon that's right up there with the best stories I've ever read on here. Just magic. Made my night. :)

Last edited:
Nice story :)

By "Ford Bubble Car" do you mean the Ford Ka ?

car_photo_21271_7.jpg

I bought one new in about 2002 and it's one of the most hilariously fine handling cars I've ever had. Slow as hell, but handled like a go-kart.

No this was a ford festiva, runs on the smell of an oily rag, we drove it home and the fuel gauge didn't move, the old bus would have used at least half a tank doing the same journey.

Great story!
The ukeness is strong in this one.

Would you mind sharing some more details about the village? Sounds like it could be worth stopping by eventually........

Nice Story Webby....sounds like a whole lotta fun and excitement on your road trip.....was that a green or blue Dolphin....hmm

Top Bottom