Bending Macasser Ebony

Pete Howlett

Reaction score
Now you know my feelings about using rosewoods and similar for ukulele so before you reach for the flame button let me explain :) I am always looking at the visual aesthetics of stuff and while I adore my 'blonde' tenor Resoleles with their stunning birdseye maple appointments I had a notion to create a contrasting instrument in ebony with a bright nickle plated coverplate. So yesterday I got several fingerboard and prepped them up.
First to note - it resaws like cutting butter. Second, it bends like Brazilian Rosewood! So I ordered another 9 fingerboard blanks yesterday and am set to do a limited production run of Black tenor resonator ukulele. I'll post some pics of the rib bend today with their solid eboning linings... yes you have read this correctly. How cool is that?

Sounds very interesting Pete. I'll be looking forward to the updates.

Where do you yhink I got the inspiration from Liam? I'll take lessons from anyone!

That's alright, I was thinking about adding some bird's eye maple with art deco styling and star sound hole resos to the range.

I cant find the link to your build Liam - however as I recall you used some pretty cool marbled ebony didn't you? I am trying to get the black stuff to work so I think the look is different :) If you want DWG files of the coverplate you are most welcome. After all the work is done they cost me £120 each!!!! I haven't had the costings on the bright finish yet. And yes, birdseye maple is the way to go if not for the pleasure of NO GRAINFILLING!

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/forum/showthread.php?65035-Black-amp-White-Ebony-Resophonic-Tenor&highlight=ebony+tenor

I'll send you a PM, files would be great. We've got CNC sheetmetal machines at work for the A/C side so I could get a shed load of coverplates stamped out. It's the punching (dishing) them to 1/8" depth that I haven't worked out. The removable hand rests is inspired.......

The ebony requires very little grain fill. In fact I did nil. The ebony I used was black and creamy white. Looked great with spruce etc. The rest I've got looks like Macassar with its more browns and black, still nice though.

Top Bottom