PDA

View Full Version : Where do you play your Ukulele?

UkeyDave
07-05-2012, 04:50 AM
As a new member and recent Ukulele obsessive I've noticed whilst You Tubing everything Ukulele that people play them in all sorts of weird and wonderful places both outdoors and in.
I am really interested to know where do you play yours. I'm thinking of places that are a little lets say out of the ordinary?
I think this could make an interesting little thread.

frankiefirefox
07-05-2012, 05:06 AM
I play in my tomato garden

ChrisRCovington
07-05-2012, 05:13 AM
On my sofa, in my bed, at work or on the can. :)

mikelz777
07-05-2012, 05:32 AM

Pick your own joke:
I'm guessing your playing probably stinks.
Your playing is probably pretty crappy.
Does playing in there piss off the rest of the houshold? ;)

ChrisRCovington
07-05-2012, 05:45 AM
All of the above are true! lol

UkeyDave
07-05-2012, 06:18 AM
All of the above are true! lol

I'm loving this thread already. :drool::shaka::rofl:

Markr1
07-05-2012, 07:23 AM
At home in my room.

Mandalyn
07-05-2012, 07:34 AM
On my trampoline :)

kenikas
07-05-2012, 07:49 AM
Sitting on the edge of my Koi pond with my feet in the water. (It's been brutally hot here!)

mikelz777
07-05-2012, 09:58 AM

I heard that it was a good place to practice your runs. :rolleyes:

I haven't practiced anywhere that is unconventional. I play in my living room chair, at the computer desk, at the kitchen table and in the bedroom with the door closed when I don't want to interrupt the rest of the household.

s4ndyUk
07-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Living in the North of Scotland means opportunities to play my ukulele outside are limited due to weather... I am always practising my ukulele at home, I just carry it around with me whichever room I'm in, banging out improvised chord progressions...

MisterRios
07-05-2012, 10:30 AM
I practice quietly in bed before sleeping, and loudly in the living room. I used to practice in the office, but that was converted into a nursery, and the baby hates the sound of the uke.

Uke Republic
07-05-2012, 10:32 AM
Often in the store because thats where I live :)

bazmaz
07-05-2012, 11:13 AM
Home, car, work, hotels, loo, garden, on the street, local pub....... (pauses for breath) and this weekend through the streets of Chester UK and on the bandstand on the Sunday!

ChrisRCovington
07-05-2012, 11:29 AM
I heard that it was a good place to practice your runs.
Only after eating at Chipotle!

angusdegraosta
07-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Our uke club has played nursing homes. I sometimes play at poetry readings and have even tried some music open mic events. At home I play in front of the computer or the side of the bed. It's also good to practice standing up, so I do that too.

OldePhart
07-05-2012, 11:41 AM
...and the baby hates the sound of the uke.

Have you scheduled a paternity test, yet? (Just kidding.)

mds725
07-05-2012, 11:58 AM
With others, I have two classes, one that meets at the Japanese Cultural Center in SF and the other that meets in the teacher's garage. I've performed with one of my classes on the NorCal Ukulele Festival stage and in the festival courtyard, and at a private party; with the other class I've performed at a nursing home. My ukulele group meets at a cafe, and just before last Christmas a handful of us (including UUer janeray and a friend of hers from SoCal) played holiday songs at the corner of Castro and Market Streets in SF.

By myself, I usually play while lying on my living room floor, or sitting on the sofa. I also play in my office, but only after hours. I've played outdoors by myself at the rehab facility where my dad is living, on the balcony of the hotel where I stayed in Kauai last year, and, last month, next to a pond in one of the dormitory quadrangles at the college I went to years ago (I was back for reunion, and fulfilling a college fantasy of playing a musical instrument by the pond). I also played the Rev. Dennis Kamakahi song "Koke'e" while in Koke'e State Park on Kauai.

G Hill
07-05-2012, 01:00 PM
At home, in the car, at the beach, at work, at friends houses yada yada yada............
wherever and whenever I can!
What a great addiction music is, wouldn't you agree?
cheers
Gary

Hippie Dribble
07-05-2012, 03:37 PM
remember that song "Wherever I Lay My Hat That's My Home"...well, it's kinda like that for me playing the uke. Nowhere is off limits. :)

Nickie
07-05-2012, 07:25 PM
I play at work. What a hoot! Tonight, the family I was working with threw money at me!

BIGDB
07-05-2012, 07:55 PM
House or car

Ben_H
07-05-2012, 08:28 PM
Home - Living room, office, bedroom (mine and kids), gardens, front and back (nice big tree on shared grass area out front).

Car - my wife gets car sick so drives a lot leaving me time to noodle away on long journeys. I also drive a lot for work and often find I have 20mins before meetings to fill. Now I play uke - sorted!

Work - Play in my office, it's the healthy alternative to a fag break :) I'm based in Bedford cemetary gatehouse so when the weather improves I will probably play in the cemetary too and if not too busy find a quiet spot in the park next door as it has more benches.

Local pub - This is where the Bedford Ukulele Group meets.

This weekend I shall be playing on a boat on the River Thames with some mates and also on an island when we moor overnight. It will confuse the party boats to hear us playing on their way past.

Houses of friends and family

I'm looking forward to taking my dolphin camping.

OK, so looking at the list I'm still in the first flush, nUUbie obsessive stage ;)

UkeyDave
07-06-2012, 02:04 AM
I think video evidence may be required for this one. lol

On my trampoline :)

UkeyDave
07-06-2012, 02:10 AM
With others, I have two classes, one that meets at the Japanese Cultural Center in SF and the other that meets in the teacher's garage. I've performed with one of my classes on the NorCal Ukulele Festival stage and in the festival courtyard, and at a private party; with the other class I've performed at a nursing home. My ukulele group meets at a cafe, and just before last Christmas a handful of us (including UUer janeray and a friend of hers from SoCal) played holiday songs at the corner of Castro and Market Streets in SF.

By myself, I usually play while lying on my living room floor, or sitting on the sofa. I also play in my office, but only after hours. I've played outdoors by myself at the rehab facility where my dad is living, on the balcony of the hotel where I stayed in Kauai last year, and, last month, next to a pond in one of the dormitory quadrangles at the college I went to years ago (I was back for reunion, and fulfilling a college fantasy of playing a musical instrument by the pond). I also played the Rev. Dennis Kamakahi song "Koke'e" while in Koke'e State Park on Kauai.

Wow, this is an impressive list

UkeyDave
07-06-2012, 02:12 AM
At home, in the car, at the beach, at work, at friends houses yada yada yada............
wherever and whenever I can!
What a great addiction music is, wouldn't you agree?
cheers
Gary

Yes I would agree

UkeyDave
07-06-2012, 02:15 AM
Home - Living room, office, bedroom (mine and kids), gardens, front and back (nice big tree on shared grass area out front).

Car - my wife gets car sick so drives a lot leaving me time to noodle away on long journeys. I also drive a lot for work and often find I have 20mins before meetings to fill. Now I play uke - sorted!

Work - Play in my office, it's the healthy alternative to a fag break :) I'm based in Bedford cemetary gatehouse so when the weather improves I will probably play in the cemetary too and if not too busy find a quiet spot in the park next door as it has more benches.

Local pub - This is where the Bedford Ukulele Group meets.

This weekend I shall be playing on a boat on the River Thames with some mates and also on an island when we moor overnight. It will confuse the party boats to hear us playing on their way past.

Houses of friends and family

I'm looking forward to taking my dolphin camping.

OK, so looking at the list I'm still in the first flush, nUUbie obsessive stage ;)

Yet another great list. I need to start taking mine out more I think.

Dark Knight
02-14-2013, 08:53 AM
Work during afternoon break with co-workers. Amazing stress relief!

DaleR
02-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Hmmm...thread revival. I'll play.

At home, with my feet up. At school, whenever I get a break, which isn't often. In class, when the curriculum allows. At uke club sessions. At pub sessions. At music stores when I am checking stuff out. At the tiki lounges, after work. I am sure I will get over it, but today is not that day. :music:

Liamfsus7
02-14-2013, 09:28 AM
I want to play outside but the weather hasn't been good enough. I want to play in a meadow :3

Karasu
02-14-2013, 10:03 AM
In my office/art studio/recent music studio with the door closed. My family thinks I play pretty well for the few months I've been working at it, but the sound of the uke distracts them from what they're doing (cooking, watching tv, gaming, talking, whatever) and they've asked me to go play where they can't hear!

That said, I really enjoy playing as much as I can.....

Shazzbot
02-14-2013, 10:04 AM
In my home office with the door closed.
You're welcome honey and Happy Valentine's Day.

ChaosToo
02-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Everywhere and anywhere.......

kevlar70
02-14-2013, 10:22 AM
Mostly at home: in the bedroom whenever I can reach and play some chords, in the living room singing with the kids, and now trying to practice while exercising on the recumbent bike.

DaleR
02-14-2013, 10:22 AM
What they said!:agree:

nighthunte29
02-14-2013, 10:46 AM
My uke goes everywhere with me!
Any time I am in the same place for more than a minute, it comes out! :D

coolkayaker1
02-14-2013, 10:47 AM
I play a uke on the throne sometimes.

Then when I get sick of it, I sell it on eBay.

OldePhart
02-14-2013, 10:58 AM
Anywhere I want to...

wallyboy
02-14-2013, 11:13 AM
i take mine to work, play it when i get a minute, even play at traffic lights while waiting,

rreffner
02-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Kitchen table, Honer sheet music stand, and my dog at my feet.

foxisaac
02-14-2013, 09:40 PM
Anywhere that'll let me.

dismount
02-14-2013, 10:17 PM
I play driving down the read with my leg on the steering wheel, (not recommended, asking for trouble). But in my defense, I only play when there is no traffic within 2 feet of my bumpers. I'm careful that way.

buddhuu
02-14-2013, 11:24 PM
I play mostly at home now.

My public live stuff mostly demands guitar or mandolin these days. As we have a uke player who visits our pub session, I don't usually play it there either because he's become known as the uke guy and I don't want to tread on his toes. I still love uke; I just don't inflict my playing on the public at the moment. :D

Skrik
02-14-2013, 11:38 PM
Behind my head.

MountainUker
02-14-2013, 11:40 PM
Played mine in couple of remote spots,on a ship in the South Atlantic, on a subantarctic island, in the mountains, and well many other places as it travels with me:)

consitter
02-14-2013, 11:47 PM
I've played mine on the deck of a ship on a Hawaiian cruise, as well as in the KoAloha factory where it was gifted to me. But now, I play it at home in my bedroom mostly.

Freeda
02-15-2013, 02:59 AM
Airports, planes, work, home, bars, community centers...

But the oddest was while parasailing. I posted a pic last summer.

wickedwahine11
02-15-2013, 03:14 AM
I have played in some public places like airports while waiting for flights. And I know people are being friendly but it usually irks me a bit if they start asking questions while I am in the middle of quietly playing a song off in some corner. I am happy to talk about the uke before or after, but not really when I am literally in the middle of trying to play "Europa."

Otherwise, I play in my office at home. I was horrified to discover my neighbor apparently hears it. She told me so after a good day of playing, but I shudder at all the times she must have heard me sounding lousy.

bonesigh
02-15-2013, 03:44 AM
It might be easier to think of places I "haven't" played! Most recently it was at the bowling alley. While waiting my turn I would jam along to the jukebox on my eleuke with my earbuds in so I can hear my own playing. I can still chat and watch others get strikes, for I'm a lousy bowler. I think all the distractions help me improve my uke skills.

stevepetergal
02-15-2013, 05:37 AM

At the firehouse,

in traffic,

and in a hut in Ethiopia.

coolkayaker1
02-15-2013, 05:48 AM
The firehouse and outdoors next to traffic, I get. But playing in that Ethiopian men's bath house... that's one way to humidify a uke!

SeattleSean
02-15-2013, 05:58 AM
Everywhere Sam I Am eats green eggs and ham, I play the ukulele.

Stackabones
02-15-2013, 05:59 AM
Usually at home and at lessons! But I'll take mine anywhere.

PTOEguy
02-15-2013, 04:22 PM
In my 4-year old twins bedroom to get them to go to sleep - a good way to work on softer pieces

Macmuse
02-15-2013, 05:20 PM
I play a uke on the throne sometimes.

Then when I get sick of it, I sell it on eBay.

Uh oh.... :P

itsme
02-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Nothing out of the ordinary. I have a corner in the living room set up with a piano style bench to sit on, a sturdy music stand, and everything else I need. It's my little haven. :)

collarbone
02-15-2013, 05:28 PM
I play a lot while I am cooking dinner. I guess that's the opposite of some people here.

beatlloydy
02-15-2013, 08:59 PM
Mostly just at home but sometimes I take it up in the bush behind our house, sit on a rock overlooking the river and it gives me inspiration.
I also like to play it down the beach when I am waiting for my youngest daughter to finish her surfing class.

Last week at a work phone hookup (I work from home) I broke out the theme from the office (anonymously) and everyone cracked up...I dont tell my work colleagues I play uke so no one knew who it was.

addicted2myuke
02-22-2013, 10:37 AM
In front of my computer cruising youtube videos
In my sunporch, weather permitting
In my car at the seashore
At my niece's house while I teach her some chords
In the bathroom
In my bedroom
In my kitchen while my husband cooks dinner
At the local Guitar Center
I think that's all.
I have to practice now.

electrauke
02-22-2013, 12:12 PM
In the car, at my Grandparents house, in the car some more, and, hey, the car is a great place :) And of course in my house.

-Emma-
02-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Nowhere exciting...

I love playing outside on a nice and sunny day. One time when I finished playing a song on the deck in my backyard, I heard my next door neighbour clapping (I don't actually know them)...maybe they were clapping because they thought I was finished :p .

I've played at work, but only twice...I work with children, so I played for a group of toddlers!

tomthebaptist
05-12-2013, 02:24 AM
I play mine on the throne in the bathroom. The acoustics are amazing!

OldePhart
05-12-2013, 08:18 AM
I've been getting a lot more reading time (used to be one of my favorite pass times) and a lot more uke playing time since I got the Kindle and Nook reader apps for my iPad. Not only can I blow the fonts up so I can actually see them, and I don't have to hold a book and end up with sore hands - I can actually play the ukulele while reading and just flick a page now and again (actually, I ought to see if my airturn pedal works with the Kindle app - then I could page with my feet.

Anyway...I love technology. :)

John

Raygf
05-12-2013, 08:56 AM
I almost never play outside. Today was breezy and cool. I visited my parents' grave site. Mom died in September of 2012 and Dad died on March 4, 2013. He would have been 90 tomorrow. I took the Glyph and played for about 20 minutes. It has never sounded sweeter. I need to play outside more often.

bborzell
05-12-2013, 09:10 AM
We have a couple of rooms with 14 foot ceilings. Sometimes I play while walking around the house and invariably end up in one of the tall ceiling rooms.

Otherwise, I have a media type room with a home theater projector and way too many instruments hanging off the walls. If I want to seriously work on something, that's where I play.

But, the most rewarding spot is on a rocker (pickin' chair) on the front porch. Two days ago, I had a fox saunter by while I was playing.

UkeKiddinMe
05-12-2013, 11:01 AM
Nothing very interesting - but I often play while laying on the couch.

I intend to play on the porch this summer with my dog at my feet.