Where do you play your Ukulele?

UkeyDave

Reaction score
As a new member and recent Ukulele obsessive I've noticed whilst You Tubing everything Ukulele that people play them in all sorts of weird and wonderful places both outdoors and in.
I am really interested to know where do you play yours. I'm thinking of places that are a little lets say out of the ordinary?
I think this could make an interesting little thread.

I play in my tomato garden

On my sofa, in my bed, at work or on the can. :)

Pick your own joke:
I'm guessing your playing probably stinks.
Your playing is probably pretty crappy.
Does playing in there piss off the rest of the houshold? ;)

Last edited:
Sitting on the edge of my Koi pond with my feet in the water. (It's been brutally hot here!)

I heard that it was a good place to practice your runs. :rolleyes:

I haven't practiced anywhere that is unconventional. I play in my living room chair, at the computer desk, at the kitchen table and in the bedroom with the door closed when I don't want to interrupt the rest of the household.

Living in the North of Scotland means opportunities to play my ukulele outside are limited due to weather... I am always practising my ukulele at home, I just carry it around with me whichever room I'm in, banging out improvised chord progressions...

I practice quietly in bed before sleeping, and loudly in the living room. I used to practice in the office, but that was converted into a nursery, and the baby hates the sound of the uke.

Home, car, work, hotels, loo, garden, on the street, local pub....... (pauses for breath) and this weekend through the streets of Chester UK and on the bandstand on the Sunday!

Our uke club has played nursing homes. I sometimes play at poetry readings and have even tried some music open mic events. At home I play in front of the computer or the side of the bed. It's also good to practice standing up, so I do that too.

With others, I have two classes, one that meets at the Japanese Cultural Center in SF and the other that meets in the teacher's garage. I've performed with one of my classes on the NorCal Ukulele Festival stage and in the festival courtyard, and at a private party; with the other class I've performed at a nursing home. My ukulele group meets at a cafe, and just before last Christmas a handful of us (including UUer janeray and a friend of hers from SoCal) played holiday songs at the corner of Castro and Market Streets in SF.

By myself, I usually play while lying on my living room floor, or sitting on the sofa. I also play in my office, but only after hours. I've played outdoors by myself at the rehab facility where my dad is living, on the balcony of the hotel where I stayed in Kauai last year, and, last month, next to a pond in one of the dormitory quadrangles at the college I went to years ago (I was back for reunion, and fulfilling a college fantasy of playing a musical instrument by the pond). I also played the Rev. Dennis Kamakahi song "Koke'e" while in Koke'e State Park on Kauai.

At home, in the car, at the beach, at work, at friends houses yada yada yada............
wherever and whenever I can!
What a great addiction music is, wouldn't you agree?
cheers
Gary

remember that song "Wherever I Lay My Hat That's My Home"...well, it's kinda like that for me playing the uke. Nowhere is off limits. :)

Top Bottom