Any ideas on what this is...or what it might be worth?

qqitsdennis

Reaction score
I see no branding on it... my Aunt was told if you get a mirror in the body (somehow) there is something printed inside but I have no way of doing this...

We believe it to pre-date the 70's, and have some string receipts from the 70's in the packaging it's stored in.

Any advice on it would be appreciated!IMG_20120705_155524-1.jpgIMG_20120705_160022-1.jpgIMG_20120705_155838-1.jpgIMG_20120705_160007-1.jpgIMG_20120705_155923-1.jpg

Definitely a Mandolin. It resembles to some degree the Harmony/ Regal mandos from the fifties and sixties, but that is going from a fading visual memory. I have heard they are really great players, but they are not really collectible. I have seen a few regals without any branding on the headstock, but cannot find one just like this.
The mirror your aunt is talking about is a dental mirror- might help reveal who made it, but it looks like a "shopped" instrument of the time for sure (made by various manufacturers for things like the Sears Roebuck Catalogs)
Good luck- cool old timer for sure.

Last edited:
I agree with TCK, an inexpensive mandolin. May be fun and playable! New strings and you are ready for some serious bluegrass!

Harmony headstock, maybe newer, the circa 1930s had f holes. One on eBay here. Also has a pick guard, maybe theirs is newer...? Differences could be between Harmony and Regal brands.

Last edited:
Top Bottom