Flea gigbag changed?

Kitters

Reaction score
I just tried a Flea today, first time for me. I know I might be getting one soon if I'm a good girl... :) There's only one thing that I'm kind of disappointed in and that's the gigbag. The thing is, I thought I was getting one like in the first pic attached since that was what they had in the picture of the web shop. (That's actually the kind of Flea in the background that I'm receiving. :)) Instead, this is what comes with the Flea these days, see pic number two attached.

Since when have Fleas had this type of gigbag? I can't say I'm happy with the bag. The two straps that allow you to wear the bag like a backpack don't have any adjustment mechanism and you cannot fully close the bag from the top. You can pull the straps and tighten it that way (there's nothing to hold it tightly closed and no separate tightening thingy) but still...

Is this the kind of gigbag that comes with Fluke too? I was happy about just having a gigbag but this one is not very good and certainly not the kind I was thinking about when considering the Flea as my traveling uke. I know there's the hard case but I'm not sure if that is very practical. Does anyone know of a good gigbag for a Flea?

Attachments

• FLEA-RALOHA_gigbag.jpg
    FLEA-RALOHA_gigbag.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 137
  • FLEA-BANANA_gigbag.jpg
    FLEA-BANANA_gigbag.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 141
Last edited:
That is the fluke gig bag . Just a question here, are you sure the store sent you the right bag?

I ask because I very recently got a Fluke Firefly banjo and it came in exactly the bag on the left (ie same as my flea bag but in denim) - so they are obviously still making them.

Hmm... I'm starting to think maybe they made a mistake at the store. It's a bit strange though since they are one of the largest uke stores importing these ukes and they should know. I guess it's best to contact them and see what they say. Wouldn't the Fluke bag be a bit larger than the Flea one? The Flea fits inside this bag just barely, I can't imagine a bigger ukulele would fit. I'm not holding my breath that they'll be willing to send me another one but we'll see...

Barry's right. That's a fluke bag. Here in San Francisco, local retailers selling fleas have the bag you wanted, so I imagine that unless these retailers' stock of fleas is old, the gig bag you want is still being made. The tenor flea I bought two years ago came in the bag you want. The bag has a zipper (although the bag is tight for a tenor flea) and has an adjustable strap. You should contact the store and ask for the bag you're entitled to. Good luck!

And meanwhile, I hope you enjoy your flea when it arrives!

My Fluke I bought a month ago came with the bag on the right and believe it or not I like it.

I do like the fluke bag, but only with a fluke in it. The fluke is quite snug in it. Wouldn't want to carry a flea in it, it's far too big.

The bag is not too big for the Flea, I don't think the bag would fit a Fluke. There's a chance the newest batch of Fleas come with the Fluke style gig bag now. Too bad it's not the kind of bag that would give much protection from the rain or anything really. I wouldn't board a plane with my Flea in it that's for sure.

The bag is not too big for the Flea, I don't think the bag would fit a Fluke.
Question to all: How much bigger than a Flea is a Fluke?
According to the website the Concert Fluke is a mere 2.25" (5.7cm) (Tenor 3.75" = 9.5cm) longer and 0.75" (1.9cm) wider&deeper than a Soprano Flea - does this really make that much of a difference?

My Concert Flea arrived ~2 weeks ago and it came with the zipper bag (despite the fact that Flea website says it would come with the drawstring bag). If I were you I'd kindly ask the store for a replacement - if you never try, you'll never get a zipper bag. Just be aware that the zipper bag has only one (adjustable) carrying strap.

According to the store, the ukes do not come with a bag by default anymore but are available for additional cost. I think this is true when it comes to the latest batch of Fleas and Flukes. Since they are decent people (IMO), they included a bag anyway without additional cost and it just happened to be that it is the drawstring bag (if I understood it right, there's one for Flea now as well and apparently the people at the store didn't expect one like it either). Well, can't complain... I'll figure something out. If you have great tips on bags that would be great for a Flea, please let me know!

Last edited:
I've had issues with a gig bag for my Flea and Fluke too. A kind person on these boards sold me his denim, zip up Flea gig bag and it works but I don't really like it because it doesn't open all the way and it doesn't have a pocket for a tuner or other miscellaneous accessories. I ended up buying a Lanikai gig bag for my concert Fluke and it fits/works perfectly. You can see it here:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LaniCUkeBg/

It is slightly big for my concert Flea but I'm seriously thinking about buying the soprano size of the same gig bag in the hopes that it will fit my Flea as perfectly as the concert size fits my Fluke. They carry the soprano in a different print:

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LaniSUkeFlo/

Lanikai also made hard cases in these same prints but I really like padded gig bags.

Good luck and please post here if you find the perfect bag!

Nix

Since my soprano flea is my travel uke, I sprung for the hard case when I bought it.
Many thousands of air miles and no regrets.
I have the zip bag that, at the time, came with the flea.
It's gathering dust in a closet.
If anyone is dead set on a zip bag, pay the shipping from WA state and it's yours.

I have the zipper bag for my soprano flea. Great bag, but I don't really use it since I prefer to throw the uke in a backpack. I'd happily swap you bags if you like.

Just checked it: the Concert Flea fits in the gigbag that came with my Makala Soprano - so I guess a standard Soprano Bag should do, e.g. this one (also available in Concert size of course).

I've had issues with a gig bag for my Flea and Fluke too. A kind person on these boards sold me his denim, zip up Flea gig bag and it works but I don't really like it because it doesn't open all the way and it doesn't have a pocket for a tuner or other miscellaneous accessories. I ended up buying a Lanikai gig bag for my concert Fluke and it fits/works perfectly. You can see it here:

It is slightly big for my concert Flea but I'm seriously thinking about buying the soprano size of the same gig bag in the hopes that it will fit my Flea as perfectly as the concert size fits my Fluke. They carry the soprano in a different print:

Lanikai also made hard cases in these same prints but I really like padded gig bags.

Nix

I just got the tenor size of this bag for my Kala (the Kala gig bag was crap), and it's a fantastic case for the money. Highly recommended!

I've had issues with a gig bag for my Flea and Fluke too. A kind person on these boards sold me his denim, zip up Flea gig bag and it works but I don't really like it because it doesn't open all the way and it doesn't have a pocket for a tuner or other miscellaneous accessories...

I didn't much like the Flea gig bag either. Too flimsy and, as you say, no pockets for accessories.

When I bought my Kala, I got a gig bag at the same time. It fits my Flea very nicely so I bought another bag for my Kala and put the Flea in the bag I originally bought for the Kala. It is sturdily made, reasonably well padded and has decent size accessory pockets. It is made by a firm called "Fusion". They are UK based but one of their user endorsements is from the USA, so they obviously export. Here is their web address.

http://www.fusion-bags.com/products/ukulele-gig-bags

I have the F4 soprano, but if you need a better padded one, the F1 looks a good bet.

I'd like to thank everyone for your most helpful comments and kind offers. I'd love to get that Fusion limited edition bag but I haven't been able to find a web store selling it here in Europe yet. I'm getting used to the gig bag that came with Flea, it's okay for every day use if you want to protect the uke from dust etc. Slightly annoying that you cannot shorten the straps on the bag. I decided to test if the Ohana soprano hibiscus uke bag would be good for the Flea and it fits in it. It's a little snug at the widest point but you can still close the bag. I guess I'm happy for now. :)

Thanks for making me aware of this great gig bag!

I'm not wild about the drawstring bag that came with my tenor Fluke, so I ordered the concert size Lanikai gig bag, and it fits perfectly! :shaka:

Nix

I have bought my fleas and fluke directly from the maker, they are a pretty safe bet on quality and there was middle man to add complication. Obviously if you are struck with uke lust in a music shop or you have a gig to do you should buy the uke in front of you. But if you have time, check out buying direct.
If the bags are changing, collectors may need to take note so you can date fleas and flukes by their bags.

You get hit with some serious customs fees when you're in Finland, like Kitters is. I remember there was a guy in Turku who was working on being a Flea distributor. He might have gig bags. I could try to dig up his email address if you like, Kitters. :)

The hard cases are pretty sweet, but spendy.

The draw string gig bag isn't on their website yet, but they offered me the option of the drawstring backpack style or the original zipper style. This is a new option. I chose the backpack style and I am happy with it. I had the zipper style previously on a tiki soprano flea. I bought the backpack style for my pineapple tenor flea.I was irritated that you have to pay for a bag when it used to be free. Oh well..
I do really enjoy my tenor flea.

Top Bottom