Bright Sounding Tenor?

Theresaamusic

Reaction score
Concert or tenor, concert or tenor... I can't decide. The concert is a perfect fit for me but the tenor is a little weird. I tried to play Some chords that involved a lot of stretching but it just hurt a lot. I really want to be able to do a lot of fancy songs like While My Guitar Gently Weeps when I get better but I'm afraid the size we get in the way. I used to like warm sounding ukes but now I really like bright sounding ukes. What should I do? What is a good bright tenor for 135 or below?

A solid spruce top will sound very bright IMO. Can't really recommend anything in your price range other than to say keep an eye on the Marketplace here. I bought my Kala thinline spruce top tenor here for $120. They are very bright and loud. :)

Well, if the tenor is a stretch for you, why are you looking for it? Because Jake what's his name plays tenor?
Oh well- I could convince you otherwise but I will be nice- Tenor, you want bright, you need Spruce tops. Kala makes a nice Mahog/spruce in that price range. It is as bright as you could ever want (but be careful there...). The flame spalted maple spruce top combo is ridiculously bright (and my favorite Ukulele), but they are double what you are looking to pay.
But really- save your shekels and get an Ohana Cedar top Concert with rosewood sides- halfway between Spruce and Koa, perfect. Model CK 50 GS, about a hundred out of your range, but it is your uke. You will reach everything and be happy with the tone- I am certain.

Theresa, I agree with TCK. Try and save a little more cash and opt for something better. Around the 300 dollar mark there are many many more great options that will open up for you...

Theres this one at Uke Republic. I have one from Uke Republic and the intonation is spot on. It is very bright sounding. I've found I prefer a mellower sound.

There's a thread somewhere on this forum where a poster remarks that his Mainland red cedar tenor sounds as bright as his playing buddy's soprano. Check the Marketplace -- I've seen a few Mainland red cedar tenors there in the past few months. Used, it might be in your price range.

I have a red cedar soprano and I love it.

What is a stretch for you today, may not be tomorrow. Some great stretching exercises have been posted here many times, along with the picture of the 5 year old
Chinese girl playing a jumbo guitar. Re: Kala Travel Uke, they are amazing, but sound wise, I don't care for anything but the tenor. Just saw one at a new low price on the bay. I'd recommend the Kala travel tenor and finger/hand stretching exercises...you won't regret it. Hard to find used ones.....for a reason. You may be able to snag one from someone who wants to move up to the new golden acacia ones however.

If you can do minor setup work, if even needed, can save $40-$50 over price from a dealer who does setups.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kala-Travel...771?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1fb515fb

or you can to a WTB in the Marketplace. Leolani used to do a gorgeous little flamed maple soprano longneck they sold on HMS for $109

Last edited:
What is a stretch for you today, may not be tomorrow. Some great stretching exercises have been posted here many times, along with the picture of the 5 year old
Chinese girl playing a jumbo guitar. Re: Kala Travel Uke, they are amazing, but sound wise, I don't care for anything but the tenor. Just saw one at a new low price on the bay. I'd recommend the Kala travel tenor and finger/hand stretching exercises...you won't regret it. Hard to find used ones.....for a reason. You may be able to snag one from someone who wants to move up to the new golden acacia ones however.

If you can do minor setup work, if even needed, can save $40-$50 over price from a dealer who does setups.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kala-Travel...771?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a1fb515fb

or you can to a WTB in the Marketplace. Leolani used to do a gorgeous little flamed maple soprano longneck they sold on HMS for $109

Stretching excersizes... Interesting. How long do you think that would take for me to adjust?

Top Bottom