Soften that sound!

DickyMac

Reaction score
Hi,

I bought a Clearwater tenor and although ok, with the plastic back it does have a bit of a harsh plastic sound...I wanted to say tinny, but didn't sound right.... if that makes sense?!

Got some new Aquila strings coming so hopefully that may help.

It'll do me fine to get started with and will take the bumps and rough handling of a newbie, but I want to know if there is any way of knocking the sound down while practising? I can't stay in the cupboard all the time! :(

The Aquilas may give you a brighter tone.
If you still want to tone it down try Worth Browns.
You may also want to go with a low g, as that can really mellow a uke.

Hi DickyMac

I agree with others. Worth Brown strings are mellower with less volume. Aquilas are brighter, more volume, on a harsh side and you will end up making things worse.

If you do not play with others, one solution maybe to tune your ukulele down by one half step. That is, tune your G string to F#, C string to B, E string to D# (aka, Eb) and A string to G# (aka, Ab). If you have a chromatic tuner, it's easy. If you have a tuner that can only recognize G, C, E, A, you will tune while your fret the first position. By lowering the pitch, your strings will be under less tension and that cuts down the high frequency overtones.

Cheers
Chief

Don't overlook Ko'olau Mahanos, or even Hilos from Mele. The Aquilas may surprise y you, but will probably make it brighter. Low g a good idea, try high g first, can always switch to a low g string since singles are available.

Last edited:
Or you could just do what I do and NEVER use my fingernail to strum. Seriously, I just can't be arsed most of the time. I prefer the sound from the side of my thumb. When you're playing loud, slammin' away with your fingernail, or a plectrum if you're playing guitar, the instrument can sometimes "get away from you" (If you know what I mean, that will make sense. If you don't, you'll be wondering what I've been drinking). Using skin to play the strings, whether picking or strumming, gives me more control over tone and volume.

Top Bottom