This "En or That 'En? (Puh-lease help me... my indecision is killing me!)

Sassafrass

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm definitely a noobie to the Uke world, but I'm hooked!

I had purchased a Lanikai 21T as my first Uke, but after taking a free intro lession, my instructor pointed out that there were a few major defects that required I return it. I'm sure I got a lemon (as some people preach their love for this model), but it made me start looking at a few other options.

Unfortunately, there are only 3 stores for trying/buying locally where I live. There is a mom-and-pop music store, but they have a VERY limited selection of tenors (actually only keep one in stock at a time). After that, I'm afraid its between Sam Ash and GC - both of which also have a limited number of tenors to try out.

Any recommendations for a great starting-out Uke, is GREATLY appreciated as I am very limited in what is available locally to try out, as well as just not having enough knowledge myself to feel confident in my purchase.

OPTIONS:
1. Lanikai Solid Zebrawood Tenor (SZW-T) $160 / Originally $300+ (~$145 with Coupon)
This is almost half of its typical price, plus I have a $20 off coupon for GC. When I went to Sam Ash to try out a zebrawood, they only had another brand/size. Sam Ash went to do a price match, but only came back to tell me "sorry" and that they believe this is a discontinued model (but how much does that really matter?). Also they kept telling me that the "open tuners" is an antiquated type of tuner (trying to steer me to another model that GC coincidentally did not sale). There is pragmatic side of me that thinks, "too good to be true" - but then there is the hopeful side of me that thinks, "I found a great deal!"

2. Kala Exotic Mahogany Tenor (KA-TEM) ~$133
It was between this and the traditional mahogany (KA-T), but I thought this one looked snazzy! :rolleyes:

3. Kala Solid Spruce Travel Tenor (KA-SSTU-T) ~$195
For some bizarre reason I kept coming back to the sound this sucker produced! Amazing projection and such a mellow tone. I don't know if a travel is really the way to "start out" on a Uke? The local stores didn't have any other solid-spruce to try out, so I was thinking that its more the make versus the travel aspect that is causing the "tone" aspect I love. If so, then there is option #4...

4. Kala Solid Spruce Tenor
I really wish there was a local option to try this bad-boy out! This would be a "blind" purchase. ~$182

I'm falling more in love with the Uke every day... and I am getting impatient about finally getting a good, sturdy, smart decision (on my pathetic grad-student budget).

TIA for any help,
Jenny

Any of them, but get them from a reliable seller who will do a proper set up such as MIMS, Uke Republic, Mainlaind. At least you'd be sure of getting a playable uke. As a Grad Student, you may get a big bang for your buck in that Kala Tenor Travel uke. They are amazing.....and easy to store, hold, etc. If set up properly, won't have to worry about strings (unless you want to mellow it out a bit) or nut/saddle.
Just play away. Even if you get a much better uke eventually, you may never want to let that travel uke go. Don't see many used ones, do you? Reason for that.

I had purchased a Lanikai 21T as my first Uke, but after taking a free intro lession, my instructor pointed out that there were a few major defects that required I return it. I'm sure I got a lemon (as some people preach their love for this model), but it made me start looking at a few other options.

Everyone on this forum has more uke-experience than me - so keep that in mind. :)

I think it's nice that your teacher suggested that you return it. (I think I think that) If they aren't trying to run some sort of con game, then I suppose they deserver some bonus points for trying to make sure you get the best instrument possible. You didn't say if your free lesson came from the same shop that you purchased the Lanikai. If it did, then I don't understand why they didn't catch (whatever it was) before they sold it to you. If they're suggesting that you return for an upgrade and spend more money - you may be better off just getting a refund because that would sound fishy to me.

I spoke with Mike from Uke Republic several times by phone and was quickly won over by his terrific enthusiam for (and knowledge of) the ukes he sells. He took time to discuss my needs and he really seemed to be interested in helping me find the best match for me. Unfortunately, Uke Republic didn't have what I ended up wanting (a Mainland), so I ended up ordering from the other Mike at Mainland Ukes. Mike at Mainland was also terrific. My uke arrived in perfect shape and it sounded amazing.

I would usually side with buying from a local shop, but I really don't think you could go wrong with either Mike. I believe both truly care about the quality of instrument that they are selling - and I believe that both want their customers to have the best possible service.

The amazing reputation that each Mike has on this forum is well deserved.

I think it's nice that your teacher suggested that you return it. (I think I think that) If they aren't trying to run some sort of con game, then I suppose they deserver some bonus points for trying to make sure you get the best instrument possible. You didn't say if your free lesson came from the same shop that you purchased the Lanikai. If it did, then I don't understand why they didn't catch (whatever it was) before they sold it to you. If they're suggesting that you return for an upgrade and spend more money - you may be better off just getting a refund because that would sound fishy to me.

The Uke was bought online from a shop that doesn't specialize in Ukes. or instruments for that matter (shame on me, I know! haha). The lessons are from a music center, they just give you the first one or two free to make sure you like the instrument/structure enough to sign up for more.

I spoke with Mike from Uke Republic several times by phone and was quickly won over by his terrific enthusiam for (and knowledge of) the ukes he sells. He took time to discuss my needs and he really seemed to be interested in helping me find the best match for me. Unfortunately, Uke Republic didn't have what I ended up wanting (a Mainland), so I ended up ordering from the other Mike at Mainland Ukes. Mike at Mainland was also terrific. My uke arrived in perfect shape and it sounded amazing.

I will definitely buy the Uke from a reputable dealer (i.e. Uke Republic or Mim); however, my issue is deciding between the different styles.

Now the exception would be the Lanikai Zebrawood that would have to come from GC or Muscian's Friend, because they are running the ~60% off deal.

It seems like "a too good to be true" deal - which typically means it is. Asking around, the only reason I can find that they are so discounted are: A) they are a discontinued model (who really cares, they are listed as limited editions anyway), B) use "open gear" tuners (I have no idea if this is good or bad), C) known to have issues (I haven't seen anything online, and reviews are scarce to begin with).

I guess after buying a bad Uke online, I'm leery about jumping on this "amazing deal" only to find out later on that my lack of experience caused me to make another bad decision.

Aloha Jen,
What is more important is who you buy from....pay a little more and get a free set up...it is alot cheaper even when you pay more, at least hopefully you get a good playing uke..
We have a few dealers/ members here... some even let you try them out... ...Mainland, Uke Republic, MIM, MGM etc...depends on your budget too...good Luck...let us know how it goes..
KPK, Makai, Vineyard, Mainland, etc...

Like many have said here and on other threads. Buy from a reputable source
recommended here on UU. You may pay a little extra initially but you will
receive a ukulele that is SETUP and inspected for flaws.
Starting out, you don't need the hinderance of a badly set up uke!
Just my two bobs worth.......
Cheers
Gary

I throw in my 2 cents... The set up that HMS does on every Uke they sell makes them my choice. They really put the time into the Uke and in my opinion make the Uke move valuable by increasing it's playability. You can never go wrong when purchasing from them.

I purchased a Kala (my 1st one) from Mim's Ukes last year. She wouldn't let me have it till she made sure it was perfect for me. It was a truly wonderful experience, she put a lot of personal attention into it. I still love that uke, and play it every day. I'm sure I'll never sell it. It has Jake's signature on it.

Aloha Jen,
What is more important is who you buy from....pay a little more and get a free set up...it is alot cheaper even when you pay more, at least hopefully you get a good playing uke..
We have a few dealers/ members here... some even let you try them out... ...Mainland, Uke Republic, MIM, MGM etc...depends on your budget too...good Luck...let us know how it goes..
KPK, Makai, Vineyard, Mainland, etc...

Hey, Jen -

Listen to Stan. Read his post three times, then read it again. Then, take the advice and act upon it.

At a budget of about $200 to $250 (which seems to be where you're at) you have WAAAAY more options than just a Kala or a Lanikai. Any of the ones he mentioned would be a step up.

Listen to Stan and do as he says and you'll end up quite happy.

I would lean toward buying a uke you can play in person first. You need to get the overall look and feel to match your preferences. If you like the Kala Travel, I would get it. You will probably want a travel uke in the future anyway, so it will be something that fills that need nicely. I think they are fairly consistant in their quality as well, which is helpful. I have been impressed with them whenever I see them in uke groups.

–Lori

I'd have to agree with what's been said about buying from one of the listed dealers that sets them up, especially if you are new to string instruments. Having said that I have several Kala and Lanikai ukes and they have all played pretty well right out of the box and I think all those you listed come with Aquila strings, and they are a pretty good place to start. I haven't played any of the ukes you listed, but I do have a Lanikai Zebrawood concert and really like it. It has a very bright sound and the Aquilas are probably a bit much on it since they tend to brighten up the sound of most ukes, I've been meanig to try some fluorocarbon strings on it but can't seem to find the time. The tuners on mine work perfectly. I also have a solid spruce top Makai tenor that has very nice tone, I'm sure it's very similar to the Kala's. I'm pretty sure the Exotic Mahogany is a laminate top so I'd definately steer to the solid tops.

Top Bottom