Hitting the C string too hard on the strum

Reegs981

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I've had my ukulele for about 5 days now and I'm really enjoying it. The main problem I've been noticing however is that when I'm strumming faster (been practicing the calypso strum) i seem to hit the c string too hard.

This only happens when I'm going faster and I haven't been able to avoid it. It just sound loud and obnoxious. I have is tuned standard with the high g.

It has a wound c string if this helps. (not a fan of the wound string and new ones are on their way)

Thanks for any help everyone. Mahalo!

Could it be the the wound string is overpowering the rest of the strings...Just a thought...

Wound strings on a Uke' have a nasty hollow "booming" sound to my ears. Slap a new set on. Alternatively, is someone here who knows the correct gauge, I'd suggest you go to your local store and buy a single classical guitar string (unwound, obviously) and give it a quick try to see if that sorts it, before spooging a bunch of cash on a new set of strings.

I'm guessing it's a Tenor Uke' What brand/model is it ? Someone else might have one and be able to give you more advice on string brands.

Dunno if that helps, but the C-string on my Concert set of Living Water Strings (discussed in this thread) is 0.74mm=0.029" (A=0.52mm, E=0.66mm, G=0.57mm).
A standard nylon guitar D string should do as it usually comes in 0.030"

I can idenify.....I often try to play a song too fast. Strumming is like any other aspect of playing, you have to develop good technique. You can't strum smoothly and fast until you master smooth while working up to fast. It will come with practice. I still love the quote I read in UU a few days ago re: practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect." Slow down, master correct technique and work your way up to fast....it will come. It may be your strings, but I wouldn't spend money on them until I practiced more....practice is free.

Top Bottom