Kamaka Lil'u repair from plaque

Markr1

Reaction score
I wanted to share this great experience with you guys. I bought a Kamaka Lil'u 6 string from Connor on the marketplace at a nice price. It had a plaque on it at one time as a gift to someone and I am the
3rd UU member to own it. It had 4 holes drilled into it and the finish was marred where the plaque was.
I received it this past Tuesday and immediately took it to my 70 year old instrument repair guy (Retired) that i've used for several years and he has been repairing these instruments for 40 plus years. I picked it up today and thought I would share these pics with you all. Sadly I didn't take before pics but you can see them in the marketplace photos that were taken. Bobby my repair man filled the holes with a colored hot laquer pen. he wet sanded the area of the holes and the marring and put 2 coats of laquer on that area. and tho up close you can see where the holes are filled but it looks great to me and he got all the marring out. The pics look worse then it does in person when looking at it. I'm really happy about this and am now a proud owner of this Kamaka 6 string.
I also had taken another uke with me that I had broke off a small piece of the bridge from not being careful when removing the old strings and I can't even tell where the piece that was broke off was glued back on. I didn't post pics of it as this post is not about that.
I just added that because I wanted to share what all he did for me for such a good price. After I looked at them I asked how much do I owe you and he replied $25. My jaw dropped and I said no way I'm not going to let you undercut yourself like that. He said I do this because I enjoy it and do it as a hobby. I told him he had put a lot of time into these repairs so I gave him $40 and he just smiled and said thanks. I felt bad after leaving and wished I had gave him even more. Every instrument I have taken to him he does a wonderful job on and I'm always happy with the repair and setup work he does. He has a small building out in his backyard where he does these repairs.

Tho know one knows him on here I want to give a big shout out to
Bobby Robertson from Owensboro Ky. I'm lucky to have a repair guy in such a small town that does this good of work.

Thanks all for looking and feedback is welcome. I hope you enjoy this happy outcome as much as I do.

100_2974.jpg
100_2973.jpg
100_2963.jpg

Glad you shared the pics, looks really good! What a great luthier/friend! Enjoy that wonderful ukulele.....

Great repair! I was wondering how someone would repair those holes when I saw the uke in the Marketplace - very good job & looks like a natural wood feature now. Simply part of the book-matching pattern. Wish I had a local luthier in my small town - mine moved away!

I'm thankful and lucky to have him around. We have 2 music stores in my town that claim to repair instruments.they get the instruments in and take them to him and he charges the music stores and they I turn I'm sure increase the repair price above what he charged and then take the credit for repairing them. He knows this and doesn't like it but it keeps him busy with this love he has and makes him a little money also since he is retired. I'm just happy to know him personally and don't have to go thru the music stores to get my repairs done and get the up charge from the stores.
Great repair! I was wondering how someone would repair those holes when I saw the uke in the Marketplace - very good job & looks like a natural wood feature now. Simply part of the book-matching pattern. Wish I had a local luthier in my small town - mine moved away!

Wow, Mark. Fantastic stuff.

I must have spent five hours on the phone with different shops, and the best quote I got was about five times higher than your guy. Plus, he did great work.

Well done, well done. She looks beautiful.

If I didn't have someone to repair this kind of stuff cheaply for me then I would have to pass on these good deals out there.

Up and coming luthiers have missed out on knowing how to work with stick shellac. It's fantastic stuff. Just did a tiny fill on one of our basses before doing finish, and I can't find the fill now.

Aloha Mark,
thank you for sharing...sounds like a real good price fix and Job...wow Happy Strummings...

I saw the holes in the listing photos. If I didn't know their approximate location an size, I'd be sayin "what holes" except in the most close-up pic. Congratulations. Bet you are the "last" UU owner!!!!

Shes definitely a keeper for sure.
I saw the holes in the listing photos. If I didn't know their approximate location an size, I'd be sayin "what holes" except in the most close-up pic. Congratulations. Bet you are the "last" UU owner!!!!

Top Bottom