Anybody need an old soprano koa?

Blue Skies

Reaction score
I don't know if I'm allowed to post this, so if you need it deleted, please do so.

I was just cruisin around looking on craigs list and saw a listing, in Hawaii, for a circa 1900s soprano, curly koa ukulele. The listing number is: 3124459566 and it sez to call or text 'Keala" @205-8085. I don't know what their area code is however. They're asking 600$, serious only.

It seems that it was just listed this a.m. over there.

Good Luck!

If somebody gets it, please let me know...:)

Just had a look at the listing. It is an Oscar Schmidt from the 30's or so. I think the inlay center strip on those OS uke's is cool. $600 seems a little steep to me given the low value of vintage ukuleles recently.

Thanks for telling me, it didn't say what brand it was on the listing and I hadn't a clue. I didn't realize Oscar went back so far. It looked fairly nice for it's age. The way the guy said it was in his family so long I thought it might have been a really (really) good one and someone here coulda used it...:D

Just for fun, here is some info. on the history of the Oscar Schmidt company. I got it from their website....."The Oscar Schmidt Company was founded in 1871 and incorporated in 1911. By the early 1900s, the company had five factories in Europe and a factory on Ferry Street in Jersey City. They made all kinds of stringed instruments, guitars, banjos, mandolins, ukuleles, zithers, and Autoharps®.

The company prospered through the early 1920s. Oscar Schmidt instruments were sold in many rural parts of the country where no music stores existed. Salesmen distributed the products far and wide, making them available in general, small town furniture and dry goods stores. Country guitar pickers and blues musicians living in areas of the South and in Appalachia, far from the city, frequently played Oscar Schmidt instruments because they were both inexpensive and available locally. But equally important, they were often chosen solely on merits of their superior tone and volume."

Wow! I reckon ole Oscar 'is' a quality instrument! Are they rated as well these days? Thanks fer taking the time to post all that information, I love learning about things. That was great...D

Seriously, when posting about something seen online, how hard is it to provide the URL?

Obviously the same as being unnecessarily sarcastic. I think the OP was unsure about referring to craigs list so why add insult to potential injury by posting a link too?

Thanks for the heads up Blue Skies.

Top Bottom