um... so... yeah... new uke day...

janeray1940

Reaction score
... was technically yesterday, but I've been so busy playing it, staring at it, and generally not believing my own good fortune, that I couldn't collect my thoughts to get a post together!

Allow me to present DaSilva soprano #291.

IMG_7214.JPG

13.75" scale length
Honduras mahogany top, back, sides and neck
Ebony fretboard
19 frets (!!!)
Peghed tuners
Polyester gloss finish

I'm terrible at reviewing things but let me just say that Mike was fantastic to work with, and I think he knew what I wanted better than I did. I definitely made the right choice for this uke.

Oh, and - sound sample of my not-ready-for-an-audience playing.

Congrats Marielle! Nice tone and nice playing by da way! It's a beauty and I hope it's all you were wishing for.

For a lady previously devoted to two identical kamakas, one re-entrant and one low G, this is a pretty big step for you isn't it? Go get those extra frets girl!

Congratulations, Marielle! Good for you. I know you've been planning, thinking, wondering....for a long time. To my ears, and eyes, your Da Silva is just what a mahogany soprano should be. How does it feel? How does it feel to play?

For a lady previously devoted to two identical kamakas, one re-entrant and one low G, this is a pretty big step for you isn't it? Go get those extra frets girl!

I may never have done something this... BIG... if Kamaka had an extended fretboard soprano option. Thanks, Kamaka, for forcing me out of my comfort zone!

Looks and sounds beautiful, can't wait to meet it. Does the high E work as a dog-whistle? :)

Congratulations, Marielle! Good for you. I know you've been planning, thinking, wondering....for a long time. To my ears, and eyes, your Da Silva is just what a mahogany soprano should be. How does it feel? How does it feel to play?

Thanks H - happy to hear it, coming from someone who knows their mahogany sopranos!

It's very small and light, which I am thrilled about. I'm still getting used to a couple things: the figure-8 shape, and the higher tension strings (fluoro fishing line, which sound AMAZING, but they take a bit more strength than I'm used to having to muster up!). Aside from those differences, it is very, very easy to play.

I'm really enjoying the mahogany sound. To me it's similar to some of the vintage Martins I've heard - fuller than koa, but still with those bell-like tones.

Looks and sounds beautiful, can't wait to meet it. Does the high E work as a dog-whistle? :)

Ha! I should go outside and try rounding up some dogs :)

My electronic tuner tells me the intonation on the high E is perfect. Will find out tomorrow if the ukulele teacher's ears agree...

Congrats Marielle! Nice tone and nice playing by da way! It's a beauty and I hope it's all you were wishing for.

Thanks! It most certainly is. Hopefully it will keep me from eyeing Kiwayas in the Marketplace for a good long time :)

Thanks H - happy to hear it, coming from someone who knows their mahogany sopranos!

It's very small and light, which I am thrilled about. I'm still getting used to a couple things: the figure-8 shape, and the higher tension strings (fluoro fishing line, which sound AMAZING, but they take a bit more strength than I'm used to having to muster up!). Aside from those differences, it is very, very easy to play

I'm really enjoying the mahogany sound. To me it's similar to some of the vintage Martins I've heard - fuller than koa, but still with those bell-like tones.

You'll build the strength in no time. Then, lighter strings will feel floppy.

It sounds wonderful to me. I know that the "opening up" phenomenon is controversial, but wait just a few days and I think you're going to be even more impressed. Damn nice uke. Still can't believe your fingers are going to fit way up there.

You'll build the strength in no time. Then, lighter strings will feel floppy.

The strings on my other ukes are already feeling floppy. Next thing you know I'll be buying 25-yard reels of fishing line!

It sounds wonderful to me. I know that the "opening up" phenomenon is controversial, but wait just a few days and I think you're going to be even more impressed. Damn nice uke.

Thank you again. As for the "opening up" - a lot of people have told me that, but then others have said that if a uke (or other stringed instrument) doesn't sound great from the start, it's not going to get any better. Fortunately this one sounds great from the start - and the *player* plans to get better, so I expect that's where I'll see the improvement!

Still can't believe your fingers are going to fit way up there.

That high E might take some work. E-flat? No problem :)

That's a sweetie! I know you've been looking for lots of frets on a little one. Howz she feel?

Here's hopin lots of good music. Enjoy!

Wow, that has a great sound! Congrats.
What made you decide to go this route? Weren't you thinking about a Mya Moe a little while back?

That's a sweetie! I know you've been looking for lots of frets on a little one. Howz she feel?

Here's hopin lots of good music. Enjoy!

Thanks! Feels great! Definitely playable to... at least the 17th fret. Now the player just needs to get better :)

Wow, that has a great sound! Congrats.
What made you decide to go this route? Weren't you thinking about a Mya Moe a little while back?

Thanks! And, I was considering a Mya-Moe. There were a few others in the running as well. In the end, all it took was a really interesting conversation with Mike DaSilva to convince me he was the right builder for this uke: an entire discussion centered around sound - much of it well over my head! - with little to no mention of appearance. And sound was what was important to me.

Oh it is so lovely and sounds wonderful. I do believe mahogany is my all time favorite tone-wood. I am happy that you found the right builder and got the perfect ukulele. Your playing is very good.

Top Bottom