Cordoba bamboo ukulele?? or others, any good?

ukulelelearner

Reaction score
I'm interested extremely interested in flamenco/spanish music and I feel that Cordoba would be the proper choice for this style of playing that is in my price range. Kala and Lanikai are also in my range but something about Cordoba ukes interest me. I am specifically looking at the Bamboo and the 25TK-CE. Has anyone played on any of these. I've heard a lot of mix opinions about Cordoba and am doubting my instinct now. Please help and reply to thread if you know anything about these ukuleles. I read something about the 25tk-ce is acacia, is this not koa wood? How do they sound? Their simplistic designs really interest me for some reason. I appreciate any feed back that you can give me. I want to buy the right uke!
Thanks in advance
Annemarie

There are some long threads about Cordoba on this forum and they generate mixed feelings. I bought a used Cordoba uke, the donovan frankenreiter model, that I think is actually quite nice except the tuners are too loose for my taste. It sounds good and plays well. I have played the Cordoba Bamboo because there is one hanging in a local music store and I like it a lot. The sound is unique, it looks great, and is quite playable. However, be warned Bamboo is prone to developing cracks - it is not the most stable material for a ukulele. Koa is a species of Acacia that grows in Hawaii. I've got a Koa uke and an Acacia uke, and they really are not the same. In many respects I prefer Mahogany but that is personal taste.

There is nothing particularly more Spanish about Cordoba ukes, in sound or anything else than the other ukes on the market. However, if you like Cordoba then go for it. I have to say that I've actually drooled a bit over the bamboo uke. It's really very nice, but I'd be worried about the cracking issues.

Played one of their bamboo ukes in a local GC. Not much volume and sounded a bit thin. The electronics should help that. Also played a 25CK. Had a nice sound and looked well built. A bit over priced if you compare it to other solid acacia concerts (KPK) out there. There was also a lengthy thread a while back where it was mentioned that the 25CK turned out to have a solid acacia top and back but laminated sides.

I'm interested extremely interested in flamenco/spanish music and I feel that Cordoba would be the proper choice for this style of playing that is in my price range. Kala and Lanikai are also in my range but something about Cordoba ukes interest me. I am specifically looking at the Bamboo and the 25TK-CE. Has anyone played on any of these. I've heard a lot of mix opinions about Cordoba and am doubting my instinct now. Please help and reply to thread if you know anything about these ukuleles. I read something about the 25tk-ce is acacia, is this not koa wood? How do they sound? Their simplistic designs really interest me for some reason. I appreciate any feed back that you can give me. I want to buy the right uke!
Thanks in advance
Annemarie

I'm a big fan of Cordoba instruments (APC instruments Portugal)
but be aware that the quality control is not that great. Inspect the instrument especialy the frets as they are often left with sharp ends.
I own two lovely mellow Cordoba ukes that I would never part from.
I also have Kala concert travel. It too is really really good.

Aloha, Learner -

First off, aside from the name, I seriously doubt that the Cordoba ukes would be any better suited for flamenco uke than any other brand. And, as others said, the Cordoba ukes overall are on the lower end of the quality scale, pretty much in the same cohort as Kala, Lanikai, Luna, and other entry ukes. I'd even go so far as to say one of the others would be a better choice just in terms of quality.

And if you really want a bamboo uke, I'd recommend you look into the Tall Grass brand. They're no longer in business, but they made a good uke. I had one and gave it to my nephew last xmas. Perhaps another UUer could be persuaded to part with one for you? It never hurts to ask.

As with anything, this is just my opinion.

Top Bottom