Pono 6 string tenor strings

perep

Reaction score
Just bought one of the Pono 6 string Tenors /mahagony and not happy with low g , seems like I want a brighter /smooth sound . Do not know what strings it came with but g & c are wound, what can I try

I was wondering the same thing about my lili'u. I want it to be with the C,s an octive apart and the A,s in unison. I have low G on now and the C,s in unison and i want to try high G also. I didn't know if when you buy a set of 6 if it automatically comes with low C and High C or with both in unison. I just sent a message to an eBay seller of Aquilas asking which way they came. I'm guessing they come with the C high and low C but don't know for sure. I don't think I want any of them to be wound but don't have enough experience with them to know for sure what it is I want.

Traditional Lili'u tuning is reentrant, with octave 3rd and 1st courses. You could try one of those in C tuning - they generally have a wound 3rd & 1st.

We also have an unwound set. Our site says it is "available soon", but we just haven't updated things while working on a new website. You will have to tune up to D tuning on the unwound set, but with the low 1st string - in this case a low B - you still have a rich smooth sound that's lighter and easier on the hands than a wound set in C tuning.

You can e-mail me on the unwound set.

The traditional tuning for the Liliu and six strings in general is C's and A's in octave with a high G string. Most string sets will come this way. I have mine tuned low G, C's in octave and A's in unison. Southcoast has an eight string set that allows you to do this, as well as the traditional six string sets. You end up with a wound low G, and a wound low C.

The Ko'olau 6 string sets include a unison A and a low G. Most string sets are re-entrant as previously mentioned. Best bet would be to use the Southcoast 8 string set to get that combo which was what Dirk recommended to me awhile back. You'll get great tone and balance as well as playability . . . just my dos centavos.

In the Aquila set it is re-entrant, the Cs and As are octaves, the C is wound and the As are not. In the Worth Clear set they are re-entrant and octaves, and all are unwound. I have my Lanikai 6 re-entrant with both C and A doubled, it is a neat sound but I only strung it like that because I had some odd strings lying around, and it came with two strings missing. That and a couple of tiny finish cracks around the amp saved me C note.

I have a Mele 6 string and cannot find a string comb I like on it. I think I will try unison A's and it is strung high g. Just can't stand the low A sound

Okay I just got my refurb Pono 6 and yeah that low A is different but that is exactly why I got it. The Ko'olau strings it came with are way too stiff and fat for my tastes. I kept the wound low G and put on a Worth clear set for the rest. They are settling in nicely and it is a nice, nice uke for the price. It has good resonance and a very balanced playable feel to it. I think it is going to be a lot of fun.

@sumppump I think you'll really like the doubled As, but if you want to move along that Mele let me know. ;)

As I stated on another post, I contacted Ko'olau. I got one of those "mellow" Pono 6 strings. Seems like they used whatever sets were on hand. They are probably reentrant Mahanas....their mellowest strings....not the sound I bought a 6 strng for. My son put Southcoast strings on his 6 string Sailor and they are amazing....he uses the "8 string tuning." I'm probably going in that direction.

Top Bottom