camcorder with external mic input?

G Hill

Reaction score
Hi All
Here's hoping you can help.
I'm looking for a camcorder with a budget of around £200 GBP
that has an external mic input facility.
I've searched high and low on the web and i'm running out of ideas!:wallbash:
The primary function is to make a few You Tube Music Vids but I would
like the option of using it for general video recording (family holidays etc)
Any ideas?
Many thanks
Cheers
Gary

I have an old (2006) Canon HD camcorder, and it uses the 1/4 inch headphone input for external mic out. You just have to go into one of the menus to switch it. Check on other Canons, they might still have that feature. You can get a XLR to 1/4 inch adapter if you have a standard mic. It does work.

–Lori

Hi Lori
Thanks for the reply.
The cheaper new Cannons seem to have left out the mic input.
Thanks for the heads up on the xlr to 1/4 inch adapter, I'll investigate that further.
In the meantime the search for the elusive camcorder continues, aghhhhhhhhh :)
cheers
Gary

Hey Gary, I have a Sony Handycam a few years old with the small DVD model that has an external mic that mounts on top of the camcorder that I ordered separately that seems to work pretty good. I have some videos up on you tube that I used with it you can checkout and see what you think about. The video with the collings uke I made were used with it and some of my guitar videos. The Kamaka and Tom guy comparison were used with my Zoom Qhd 3. There are several of the Used handycams out there on ebay that can be had cheaply and the external mic can also be had for not to much. They work well and are user friendly and can be uploaded and saved to your computer and uploaded to YouTube pretty easily. Hope this helps.
Good luck, Mark

Hi Mark
Many thanks for your suggestions.
I enjoyed your videos :)
Cheers
Gary

Top Bottom