fingerpicking: 4 fingers? 3 fingers? how many fingers?

hippowong

Reaction score
Hi,

I am curious to know what people prefer, if they finger pick with 4 fingers (thumb, index, middle, ring) or if they do an alternate. I have been fingerpicking with 3 fingers (thumb, index and middle) using my thumb for the top 2 strings.

But as I get to more intricate music I find that perhaps there are some more benefits with allocating one string per finger. As doing a change like this below is quite tricky with 3 fingers plucking. I made that up so it doesn't represent any chords just finger placement.

2 2
0 2
2 0
2 2

Whats your preference?

As a rule I give the thumb strings 3 and 4, index finger on 2, middle on 1. As a rule.

Sometimes I fingerpick with four fingers, sometimes I pick with two (index and thumb), and sometimes I pick with just my thumb. For me, it comes down to what I think will work best considering the song (or part of the song) that I'm playing and the exact sound that I'm trying to get.

But as I get to more intricate music I find that perhaps there are some more benefits with allocating one string per finger.
I came to uke from classical guitar, so I pick in that style using thumb, index, middle and ring fingers.

But... it's not necessarily one string per finger. If you are doing a succession of notes on one string, you will get more speed by alternating fingers instead of trying to pluck them all with the same finger.

I use my thumb, index, and middle finger just like how you play. I found that I don't really pick my G string as much as the other 3, so I kinda grew used to only using three fingers, or 2 fingers and a thumb if you're picky xD

Sometimes I fingerpick with four fingers, sometimes I pick with two (index and thumb), and sometimes I pick with just my thumb. For me, it comes down to what I think will work best considering the song (or part of the song) that I'm playing and the exact sound that I'm trying to get.
Yep. This.

I don't do it all that well yet, but I tend to use my thumb, forefinger and middle finger, much like a banjo player. I really enjoy it, and it seems easier to invent things than by strumming, for me.

4 strings on the uke.

Thumb + 3 fingers = 4.

Coming from classical guitar, this works well for me, but most of the time I'm using a subset of these. Depends.

4 strings on the uke.

Thumb + 3 fingers = 4.

Coming from classical guitar, this works well for me, but most of the time I'm using a subset of these. Depends.
:agree: I also come from classical guitar training, and found that thumb and 3 fingers are especially useful for some of the more complicated and fast fiddle tunes. I have been learning Larry O'gaff, and the only way I will be able to get that up to speed will be to use one string per digit. My technique varies from song to song though.
–Lori

Thanks for the replies. This is very helpful for me.

Never studied finger picking. Using my thumb and my index finger is my natural style. Or just my thumb sometimes.

Lately, I've been learning to use my middle finger as well. My ring finger? Someday. Maybe.

As this concerns fingerpicking, I have recently come across some tabs where I have to span from fret 2 to 8 and sometimes even 9. How does one even do this?

My fingers don't stretch that far. Is there hope for me?

That is a big stretch on a tenor uke - what song are you attempting?

As this concerns fingerpicking, I have recently come across some tabs where I have to span from fret 2 to 8 and sometimes even 9. How does one even do this?

My fingers don't stretch that far. Is there hope for me?
Yes. You need to do stretching exercises. Know the Hawaiian hand sign with middle and ring fingers curled toward your palm with pinky and index finger up? Well, you want that position and gently stretch your pointer and index fingers apart. Make sense? Gently is the operative word. You'll be amazed how quickly it helps with fretting. I am working on Stars and Stripes Forever right now. I need to play 0303 and then quickly play 0308. 0307 was kinda hard, 0308 was impossible. After a week the 8th fret reach was very doable.

Good luck. If I can do it, you can too.

P.s. I have a tenor neck.

That is a big stretch on a tenor uke - what song are you attempting?

I am trying this song Merry Go Round in Howl's Moving Castle. The are a string of notes:

5 7 9
2 2 0
2 2 2
0 0 0

It's very hard to play. I end up just skipping out that whole 2 completely. This has been one of the more challenging songs I've been attempting.

I am using a concert uke but even on my soprano its a big stretch.

Yes. You need to do stretching exercises. Know the Hawaiian hand sign with middle and ring fingers curled toward your palm with pinky and index finger up? Well, you want that position and gently stretch your pointer and index fingers apart. Make sense? Gently is the operative word. You'll be amazed how quickly it helps with fretting. I am working on Stars and Stripes Forever right now. I need to play 0303 and then quickly play 0308. 0307 was kinda hard, 0308 was impossible. After a week the 8th fret reach was very doable.

Good luck. If I can do it, you can too.

P.s. I have a tenor neck.

You got me confused for a bit. Did you really mean "gently stretch your pointer and index fingers apart" or "gently stretch your PINKY and Index fingers apart"??

Thanks---

I also took a few classical guitar lessons so I habitually use my thumb and 3 fingers (p,i,m,a).

Although, when I pick "country-style" with a low-G strung uke, (4, 2, 1, 3, 2, 1)I use my thumb for the G and C strings.

You got me confused for a bit. Did you really mean "gently stretch your pointer and index fingers apart" or "gently stretch your PINKY and Index fingers apart"??

Thanks---
Oh well, I'm pretty much an idiot. Sorry. It's stretch your little finger and pointer finger. I got my Stars and Stripes fret numbers totally wrong, too. I always mean well though. :)

But -- you know what I mean, right?

Top Bottom