Expensive Ukes in Seattle

RevWill

Reaction score
I'm headed to Seattle for a few days next week and I'd like to spend a little time playing some expensive ukes. I'll mostly be south (Kent-Covington area) but we will be going downtown at least once.

What stores should I hit up?

Dusty Strings is in the Freemont area

try to find out where mya moe is(white salmon is the name of the town) very nice people ..get a little tour of their shop...

sorry i put this post on the wrong thread...

Last edited:
Mya Moe is on the Washington/Oregon border. Definitely very far from Seattle.

But Andrew is dead on. Hit Dusty Strings in the Fremont area of Seattle. There's also Trading Musician in the U-District.

You could have stopped by the Jumping Fleas house. He has some expensive ukes but he is in Australia right now!

What about Port Townsend?

For the number of builders that buy PEGHEDS (www.pegheds.net) from me in Pt Washington, there's got to be some serious building going on in that territory.

My wife tells me that DUSTY STRINGS cannot be ever found again. She said she has never seen so many guitars- ukuleles- banjos- mandolins in one place in her life!! She thinks it would take a week for me to just look at things. They put PEGHEDS on quite a bit of things as well. It is The Place in Seattle.

I played a 5k Martin 5k at Dusty Strings. That is the place to go if you want to play an expensive uke.

Definitely go to Dusty Strings, I was there a year ago and they had a very good uke selection including some vintage ukes, on the high end they had several Kamakas, a Martin 5K and a Collings. Don't know if they're still there, but the shop and the folks in it are great and will let you play their ukes without hovering if they can suss out that you aren't a tyro.

It's a long way from Kent, but Dusty Strings is your best bet for high end ukes in all of Metro Seattle.

yes, Dusty Strings is still there (as of last week at least -- they sponsored a local UkeFest). and Fremont is a fun place whether you find the uke of your dreams or not. You'll find the Center of the Universe there, along with a larger-than-life troll, chocolate, good beer and...Lenin

also, and closer to Kent/Covington, is a slightly out-of-the-way place. Can't remember the guy's name (Ray?) but he sponsors the Tacoma area ukulele circle and runs a used clothing/consignment store called the Queen's Closet. And sells Kanileas -- don't know what he has there now, but check it out - he was wonderfully gracious to me when we just stopped by to look and try out some ukes. It's in Lakewood, just south of Tacoma. google says it's at 9614 40th Ave SW in Lakewood (not very far west of I-5, if I recall)

Top Bottom